Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo...i searched around and i cant decide between the kore carbon riser, easton monkeylite sl, and more. if i primarily do xc riding but like to go fast and ride fairly hard, which bar would be best for lightweight and strength? and price isnt really an objective right now since i just got my paycheck

·
Registered
373 Posts
you cant really go wrong with those

OUTBREAK5647 said:
i think i might get the Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer Bar. is it worth it?
it depends on your budget. then compare the weight to the price, and if its alot more expensive, for just a little less weight maybe its not worth it.

Those are all good bars, their all strong, aluminum being stronger that the carbon though.

Just get one that fits your criteria (weight, comfort, looks etc) you really cant go wrong

·
Registered
103 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
it depends on your budget. then compare the weight to the price, and if its alot more expensive, for just a little less weight maybe its not worth it.

Those are all good bars, their all strong, aluminum being stronger that the carbon though.

Just get one that fits your criteria (weight, comfort, looks etc) you really cant go wrong
oh hell yeah great bars... they're silly light.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I ride the Monkelite XC, my son rides the SL. No problems and yeah, they are stupid lite. If you're worried about carbon, get an Easton EA70 or EA90....you can find really good deals on either of those right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wildkyle90 said:
anyhow whats wrong with your bar your running now? is it not comfortable, or are you trying to cut weight down?
im cutting down on wieght...and i think im probably gonna go with carbon because its lighter, and im not really going to be doing anything crazy...thanks for the advice

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
OUTBREAK5647 said:
im cutting down on wieght...and i think im probably gonna go with carbon because its lighter, and im not really going to be doing anything crazy...thanks for the advice
Not really that much weight difference, but the comfort level for carbon is really noticeable for me. Carbon is way strong, I wouldn't go with aluminum unless your a throw the bike to the ground kind of a guy:eek:

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
My bud runs the Ritchey, and he loves it. Doesn't ride real hard, but that's ok, it'll outlast the bike, knowing him.

I'm just not a carbon bar guy, BTDT, and I'll stay with alu. I'm currently running a RaceFace Evolve DH, 3 years and not a wiggle. Getting ready to swap to a Da Bomb Big Stick, almost identical geometry, but a little wider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya im not planning on doing like big drops jumps etc so im liking the ritchey...i was also looking at kore. they look very nice as well. i know a guy who has one and really likes it but idk

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
Aluminum is not stronger than Carbon Fiber, not sure where your getting that from. Carbon fiber has a much higher strength to weight ratio than aluminum. Carbon has to be handled different than aluminum when clamping it, but as a structural unit it far exceeds aluminum.

It's how it is built and if installation is done correctly that will determine the overall durability of a CF product. Many bars are significantly lighter than their aluminum counter parts. There is a limit like any material of how light you want to go. Super light parts are more prone to fatigue and failure regardless of material used, so a Easton Monkey Lite SL will be a bit more susceptible to failure than a Monkey Lite XC...which will be in turn not as strong and stiff as the Monkey Lite DH. You just need to match your riding style and weight to the appropriate product.

For the record, I have been over 200lbs for many years and have used both Monkey Lite XC and Titec Pluto CF bars for trail riding (which includes a few root and rock drops) with zero failures. In fact the ONLY bar failure I've had in 18 years of riding was an aluminum bar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Aluminum is not stronger than Carbon Fiber, not sure where your getting that from. Carbon fiber has a much higher strength to weight ratio than aluminum. Carbon has to be handled different than aluminum when clamping it, but as a structural unit it far exceeds aluminum.

It's how it is built and if installation is done correctly that will determine the overall durability of a CF product. Many bars are significantly lighter than their aluminum counter parts. There is a limit like any material of how light you want to go. Super light parts are more prone to fatigue and failure regardless of material used, so a Easton Monkey Lite SL will be a bit more susceptible to failure than a Monkey Lite XC...which will be in turn not as strong and stiff as the Monkey Lite DH. You just need to match your riding style and weight to the appropriate product.

For the record, I have been over 200lbs for many years and have used both Monkey Lite XC and Titec Pluto CF bars for trail riding (which includes a few root and rock drops) with zero failures. In fact the ONLY bar failure I've had in 18 years of riding was an aluminum bar.
ya i think imma go with a ritchey wcs carbon riser

·
Registered
373 Posts
True

mtnbiker72 said:

Yes that is correct that carbon fiber is has a stronger weight to strength ratio, but iv heard of more carbon bars failing than aluminum on mountain bikes... Dont get me wrong, im sure carbon is fine, and i do like carbon fiber, iv run it on my motorcycle for years. Just for mountain bike applications, iv rode carbon bars twice, and it felt like they were bending but perhaps their supposed to have a little give in them.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
Yes that is correct that carbon fiber is has a stronger weight to strength ratio, but iv heard of more carbon bars failing than aluminum on mountain bikes... Dont get me wrong, im sure carbon is fine, and i do like carbon fiber, iv run it on my motorcycle for years. Just for mountain bike applications, iv rode carbon bars twice, and it felt like they were bending but perhaps their supposed to have a little give in them.
Every failure I've ever seen is from either crash damage or more often installation error. They don't just spontaneously fail, they are often over clamped due to a lack of following directions and torque specs which weakens the structure.

Aluminum is more idiot proof though:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.