Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing some of the dh'ers and FR'ers running what looks like a really wide Ti-colored flat bar with a lot of sweep. Anybody know a model/make/mfg for these? I'd like to try some about 29" or so wide on my rfx...flame on!

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
There's the Sunline V one, Truvativ Boobar, and whole bunch of others out there.......in fact I just went through a soul searching handlebar quest as well. I'd been running a 685mm by 50mm rise Answer Protaper and like you wanted to to try something wider, as it does offer more control. I first tried the Truvativ Boobar which is 20mm rise and 785mm wide, I liked it but it was too much for me, (They do offer it in a 40mm rise, and I think I would've liked it) although I only rode it a few times on fireroads and bike paths (I've got mono and my spleen could burst in the event of a crash). I then went to the Sunline 40mm rise by 740mm width and it suits me very well. Good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
there are a bunch, Sunline for example. be prepared, once you go wide you can never go back. I'm running the 19mm x 745mm version on both the DH and AM bike and I LOVE them!

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
I've ridden the 19mmx745mm rise V-1's on my 6 pack and DHR for over a year now and really dig 'em.

I am probably gonna swap the ones on the 6'er for the 38mmx745mm rise though.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You may be thinking of the Gravity 777 bar. 777mm wide flat OS bar by FSA.
or
Element Technic Nickel Wide Flat Bar - 760mm wide with lots of sweep.

_MK

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Second what MK says on 777 and others, there's a heap of options which is really good, some good ones mentioned.

Also Chromag OSX flat bars if ay can find em, Race Face Atlas, do a nice reverseable atlas integrated stem too.

Even Salsa have been on the wide flat bar for awhile, I saw a top local DHer running one back as far late 06, ah seems so long ago!

If ya got the ape hangers and shoulders once ya go wide ya never go back, now ya just got to sort out a stem to support it, I was onto it before nailing myself I love wide bars on every bike, trees no issue, though recently I did shave a cut down stump that got pretty hairy, my fingers on both sides still in tact :D

Just a side note though, if running integrated stem, there has been a rise Ive noticed in stem failures especially these single sided light weight jobbies,, though even read some e web gossip about SV1s but hard to tell if real or just brand knocking, I love Sunline stuff but have not used there IS version, just a thought it may or may not be related, I always like a face plate for stiffness at minimum, I doubt I would ever run a really wide bar and a single sided integrated stem like P1s for example again not knocking that product but I don't like any of those designs, weight alone is not a reason I choose a stem or bar, unfortunately looks like Thomson has followed that design route!

But plenty of others out there so no biggie, but maybe something to think about for peeps, maybe not an issue on a 6" or 5" rig as the leverage even on a wide bar is not as much as a DH bike or even a FR bike, sorry just random thoughts typing out :D

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Time to go wider T!

NAKED1 said:
Last Nov. I was in AZ riding with some buddies who just put the Deity dirty 30's on and like them. It makes sense that you would have more control.
I know you like your "sick 26" inch wide Easton's but it's time you went wider, I've got those Boobars that I'm not using, and only used a few times anyway ;)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Last year there was a huge jump to ~30" bars (apart from FSA's tank 31.5" ers). Many mfg brought them out for the DH crowd (only). Since then many people that should NOT be on big bars (12 yo 5'2" kids) have jumped on the trend as well as many larger guys finally being to buy a size appropriate bar for their larger stature.

The good thing, is that now there are MANY choices from 740 to 780 mm in rises from zero (flat) up to 38mm (as well as all the old 710mms)..so no matter the application or your build, you can find something for your preference.

I started a year and a half ago with 745s on the DH bike and sticking with 710 on the 'other' bike. Now the 777 zero rises FSAs are on the DH, and the little bike has 745mm low rise.

Remember, you can always cut a bar down..you can never stretch them.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
wasea04 said:
I know you like your "sick 26" inch wide Easton's but it's time you went wider, I've got those Boobars that I'm not using, and only used a few times anyway ;)
I've got a couple of different bar sitting in my garage as well if any of you want to try a couple of different options. I ended up with the Sunline V One, but will probably cut and narrow it down because it's a little too uber-wide for the Spot.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Mr Tiles said:
I ordered some 777's last night...stoked
Just an FYI: because they are 'flat' you will need to rotate them to get any upsweep. If you go by the logo placement, they will feel VERY wierd (lots of back and zero up). Took me a bit to get them to feel right as they dont have the same shape as a riser bar (that you are used to) to give you visual feedback about the rotation angle.

I ended up putting the logo at about a 60* angle down from horizontal. Feels nearly identical as the sweep and rise of my sunlne V1s on the little bike....and look like loaded 787 wings from the front

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
davep said:
Just an FYI: because they are 'flat' you will need to rotate them to get any upsweep. If you go by the logo placement, they will feel VERY wierd (lots of back and zero up). Took me a bit to get them to feel right as they dont have the same shape as a riser bar (that you are used to) to give you visual feedback about the rotation angle.

I ended up putting the logo at about a 60* angle down from horizontal. Feels nearly identical as the sweep and rise of my sunlne V1s on the little bike....and look like loaded 787 wings from the front
Am interested in this bar myself in the near future, while I don;t doubt ya I always struggle when people use something new with obvious benefits and set it up the same as before, its different for a reason it often just takes time to re adjust, a bit like tennis adjustment or gold you need to learn new drills to improve, setup and feel change so it feels weird initally but is not wrong in fact nowadays if it feels weird to me I use that as a becnhamkr for feeling right until I adjust to improve, thats how Ive progressed in the recent past, just saying!

Theyre not technically true flat bars but semi rise bars, where the clamp 31.8mm the bar ends are still higher the the clamp zone, its the sweep and rise that adjust for this and being much wider there is more sweep required in my experience so it will be different for example between a V1 and a 777, they are different types of bars, maybe slightly evloved between the too but still that's the point, but its great to have so many options available now as we are all different.

GRAVITY 777

[*]7075-T6 Aluminum
[*]31.8 x 5mm x 777mm width
[*]Sweep: 10° x 4° rise
[*]Weight: 327g

Sunline V1
  • Available in low 19mm (3/4") rise or mid 38mm (1.5") rise
  • 711mm or 745mm lengths provides leverage and slows steering at high speeds to add stability
  • Marks on end of bars to custom cut length
  • Lightweight DH strength at 260g (19mm rise) and 277g (38mm rise) in 711mm width and 311g (19mm rise) and 357g (38mm rise) in 745mm widths
  • Laser etched logos for durability
  • 5 x 9 degree sweep

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
davep said:

absolutely mint setup description. words taken to heart. should have the bars end of next week...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.