Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What width are most people riding on their xc bikes?

Also, I saw a set of bars at a bike shop awhile back that were carbon and had aero bars built into them. Anyone seen/used these??

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
LyncStar said:
What width are most people riding on their xc bikes?

Also, I saw a set of bars at a bike shop awhile back that were carbon and had aero bars built into them. Anyone seen/used these??
I would say around 24" on a women's/smaller man's frame if using a straight bar.
Most I see use around 26"-28" Easton Carbon MonkeyLite Risers (Risers seem to be just a little more comfort for epic races). The rise can be subtle or more "freeride". Lots of others are going to the Jones Bars, Mary Bars, Black Sheep Enduro Bars for the more hand position angle...I think the aero bars are not a good idea on the MTB but that is just my opinion. I have only seen one guy use aero bars as an enduro MTB racer, I also saw him crash once and that didn't work out to well.
Cheers,
miSSionary

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
great question....

my preference has changed greatly over the past year or so...

used to be just find with the Low 600mm range. My latest bike, a likely choice for 24 hour type of racing and the such, was obtained in a trade so I had no say with the bars. It came with 635mm bars and I have really tried to deal with it but I HATE EM. Nowadays, XC or not, I cant tolerate anything shorter than 685mm so I have since ordered some longer bars to arrive soon. When standing and climbing I feel like a T rex with my arms so close together....just cant do it anymore. I will gladly trade the improved stability and leverage for longer bars being a problem in tight stuff in terms of hitting trail objects.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Hehehe....those are pretty funky. :)

My take on this: experiment if you can. I ran a flatbar on my singlespeed for about a week: it freaked me out how the narrow bar was. Climbing and aggressive cornering was greatly improved with a 640 mm riser.....

So, I mounted a riser on all my bikes. Broke my hand a while ago, and it being weak and all I put back 580 mm flatbars w/ barends on my two geared steeds. Absolutely fine with it, even though I was a fervent barend-hater for years. The proof being in the pudding, I did the reasonably long and reasonably technical Salzkammergut Trophy last weekend.... I couldn't be happier.

Moral of the story: see if you can borrow bars from friends or the LBS. Give different widths try. You may hate some things, you may easily adjust to about anything (like me) ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.