Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i am using a flat 9 degree sweep bar on my full rigid Niner. My wrists doesn't seem to feel to happy about that bar, so i am considering getting a Salsa Pro-Moto flat bar with 17 degrees sweep. Has anyone tried it? Is it comparable to the On-One Mary Handlebar, or is it more like a standard riser bar?

I usually ride on quite rough trails, i dont want to sacerfice too much control and performance for extra comfort.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It would be more equivalent to the On-one Fleegle (15 degrees), which I find better for my small hands than a 9 degree bar. It does feel a bit different from a typical riser bar sweep, but still behaves basically like a conventional handlebar. I have only had a very quick pootle on a Mary, but that definitely felt "different".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, it would be more comparable to the Fleegle bar. I guess that a 17 degree sweep sound a little radical compare to 11, but perhaps that might be just what my wrists needs, hopefully without turning my xc bike into a cruiser..

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I tried all of the above, except the Niner 9º.

When I raced the Salsa 11º, that was the bare minimum my wrists would tolerate. I'm not riding that bike for a while now, and my current main ride has the 17º. So much better already. The first degrees weigh the most, you know.
I'd prefer to never ride <17º anymore now.

I donated a buddy my Fleegle 15º for his budget build. Noticably less comfortable (we even shortened it a bit to be closer to the Salsa, and make the wrists require less sweep).
Fleegle is overbuilt of course, 355g or so, and does seem to be noticable harsher.

Mary's 38º is in the high-middle range of ideal sweep, IMHO.

I rode 610mm wide ~49º trekking bars for a short time, and those were still fine for off-roading and racing, although I'd have preferred them wider. The high optimal range for sweep, but if you get the right bike fit with it (I had a long Fisher with a long stem), it works out well. Didn't keep me from dropping lightweight 26" racers on tight singletrack.

The identical bars, but bend to ~º38 ended up a bit wider, 620-640mm or so, and are extremely nice for commuting and I suppose offroading, albeit not rated for the latter.
The 38º I can ride for hours comfortably.

I'm really looking forward to trying the ~27º sweep B.O.S. FloWing bars. Some very promising differences from teh Mary, which may well mak it an all-round better handlebar for my preferences. Wider, lighter, less forward sweep, less grip sweep, less rise, perfect!

I like Dimension Cork/Foam closed end grips with all my MTB bars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cloxxki - thank you for your informative answer! Im sure i would feel the difference of going to 11 degrees from 9, but i might just as well upgrade to 17. It's the carbon version that i intend to buy. Im using the oury grips, btw.

10 years ago i had a scrappy bike that i used for commuting. It had a bar with a similar construction to mary, and i remember that holding it was very pleasant. But i wouldn't place that bar on a offroad bike, had less direct control with it and it was not wide enough.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Keep in mind that the 17º really sweeps. Cuts some 10-20mm off your reach. Could work out right, but I use a 140mm stem on my Redline Flight with it.
Niners are long bikes though.

I want that carbon version too. Should damp a bit more, especially thanks to the sweep, grips being offset from the stem clamp. The 49º bars, understandably gave me stem slippage with my-less-than Thomson stem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been running the salsa 17deg bar for about two months now, and i couldn't be happier with it. i had tried mary for a little while. i liked it, but found that i lost too much control overall.

BTW. the mary bar worked 100% better when flipped.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
I keep going back to the Fleegle bar for my endurance SS. I like the way they sweep the bar forward before angling it back so you can have comfy wrists without changing your whole position or swapping stems. I bought a lightweight Salsa bar over the winter being a weight-weenie, tried it in the spring and ended up reverting to the Fleegle. Great bar, it just happens to be the sweet spot for me right now, ymmv.

On-one introduced a lighter Fleegle Pro version recently, but to order it in the US the shipping costs more than the bar. Hope it makes it's way across the pond. Unfortunately it is also a couple inches shorter than the regular Fleegle...I would not cut mine down a millimeter.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
transwave, are you using barends? they help alot by allowing you to vary your hand position and giving you a much more efficient and natural wrist motion on climbs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I'm really looking forward to trying the ~27º sweep B.O.S. FloWing bars. Some very promising differences from teh Mary, which may well mak it an all-round better handlebar for my preferences. Wider, lighter, less forward sweep, less grip sweep, less rise, perfect!
Same here. I currrently ride a Mary but would like something with less sweep, a little wider, and less/no rise. Does anyone know when the FloWing will be produced again?

I'd also like to give the Groovy Luv Handles a try but 21.5 might not be quite enough sweep.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Fleegles are the pros (I live in Wales, a neighbouring country ;-) ) and they are surprisingly flexy, probably more so than the standard ones. But I would prefer them a wee bit wider. I just got some standard ones which I am going to put on my 6" travel 26er with a high rise stem, at that weight they ought to be up to a bit of abuse.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a race hybrid bike with barends. I use them alot, especially when climbing. But i don't miss them when going offroad. Having a good control of the bike in rough terrain is the main thing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have liked Syntace's 12deg bars in the past. It's a nice in between angle for me.

Wanted to try more sweep so I just got on the waiting list for the Groovy Luv Handles. Should get them sometime in July.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
After having to take 8 months off the bike last year due to severe hand issues the only set
I can ride with is salsa 17 degree bars with ergon bar end grips both my monkeys have this set up and I just built a cross check with midges & 1 hour ride later my hands were
killing me so on went my 11 degree promotos with ergons and evrything was great .For me no 11-17dgreebars & ergons NO RIDE!

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
17* is not really high sweep... i can't use my fleegles, they feel like a flat bar to me...

for general trail riding i use marys, for aggressive AM riding i use groovy luvhandles (22*, beautiful bars BTW) and for full on DH i use 17* syntace. i will be trying the flowing bars (27*) as soon as they release a new batch. i wish someone made a full DH rated 22* bar...

the marys at 38* are my favorite bar ever, but i find on steep DH stuff my hands slide forward a bit. at 22* i don't find that problem at all.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Two more candidates: Misfit Psycles FUbar and FU2bar.

I use FUbar myself, and love it. It works great upside down, too.

(Hope it's ok that I'm using your stock pic, Peter? - in case you're watching...)

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
With me its not the wrists but the thumbs GDS. With straight bars I end up taking forward impacts on my thumbs when braking hard into bumpy corners, this may have something to do with my short fingers. With more sweep I can wrap my middle 4th and pinkies round the bar to get a good hold for lifting the front and use the outside edge of my hand to absorb forward impacts, yet there is no pressure on my thumb/forefinger join as I reach for the brake. I have my brake levers set high and way inboard and the bite point as near as possible.

·
Tantrumcycles #1
341 Posts
Is there any flat bars that have more sweep then Salsa ProMoto 17deg?

I want a bit more sweep, and would like a longer stemt then 75mm to get moore room to mount my Min-T ledlight on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts