Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps a pretty small consideration - but I'm thinking of swapping the handlebars on my fat bike to carbon. There's the weight savings as well as the bump absorption. I have 740mm aluminum bars now. The carbon bars I'm looking at come in 710 or 770, I'll probably go for the 710s, I feel like that's plenty wide enough, but I really like these 740's too.

What length and kind of bars do you have on your fatty now? Did you make a change and how did it change things?

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
534 Posts
I went with 711mm alloy with a 50mm stem and I like the setup. I have a carbon fork, so carbon bars probably wouldn't add much for me.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its strange but in my 25 years of riding, I haven't really messed around with handlebars too much, I just take what comes on the bike I buy. My last four bikes have had aluminum bars, so my experience with carbon bars is pretty limited. I can find threads on which bars people have, but I'm curious what differences people feel with carbon, if any. I can drop a little weight by going with carbon, but that's not enough for me to whip out the wallet.

·
Fat & Single
4,127 Posts
Syntace Vector carbons at 680mm and matching hi-flex seatpost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run the Answer 20/20 bars on both of my Krampus and my 907 with a 70mm and 80mm stem. These bars are very comfortable and I like their width of 720mm. Still wide enough to be agressive on the trail, but the risk of hitting trees no as high as it was with the 780mm Salsa Whammy bars I rode before.

I liked them a lot as well, but I wanted to try the Answer bars and a great ride became a fantastic one. :cornut:

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you like your current 740mm handlebars, I would definitely go with the 770mm option on new ones. You can try them at 770 and if that is too much you can cut them to 740 or whatever. I feel that there is a noticeable reduction of high frequency vibration with carbon bars.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,328 Posts
780 carbon, I find the additional leverage to be highly helpful for the power needed to accelerate a fat bike.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
If you ride in real cold climates they say carbon is better at helping to keep your digits warmers. I 2nd the Syntace Vector with matching p6 High flex post ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like to run narrow. I've got a 610mm Easton EC90 on my FatBoy. That way I can ride between closely spaced trees. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
On my Beargrease, I went from stock aluminum Salsa bar & lock on grips to Easton EC70 carbon bars & ESI Chunky Grips.

I was surprised that my hands were quite a bit warmer after and they really dampened the front end better. They saved a ton of weight of the stock setup too. My bars are currently 720mm which is too wide for the single track around here, will probably end up cutting them down 1-2" this summer.

·
Fat & Single
4,127 Posts
If you ride in real cold climates they say carbon is better at helping to keep your digits warmers. I 2nd the Syntace Vector with matching p6 High flex post ;)
Not the cheapest option but beautifully made components, the seatpost is comfortable and you get full marks for bling.

·
1,711 Posts
I have 720 on my moonlander and 700 on my 29er. Been perfect for everything.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,328 Posts
I've found this cool thing called "leaning". When there are trees, I can lean the bike one way, and counter-lean with my body in the opposite direction. Pretty cool stuff!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an Answer ProTaper 780 DH 1/2". I think the wide bar has helped me many times to stay in control after hitting various grapefruit-sized rocks. Benefits are supposedly because of leverage and slower handling. Slower handling is good for me but maybe bad for you. To me, wide bars are more comfortable when climbing steep areas (since I lean forward).

You may want to consider a riser bar. I wish I had a little more rise.

I don't have things worked out yet. I'm considering trimming the width a little, but I'm going to change the grips to ergonomic-style ones first. Sometimes, I wish the angle at the hands were greater (for wrist comfort). Hopefully changing the grips will make the almost straight bar more comfortable and then I can decide on the final bar width.

You may want to get your grip-style settled before buying a new bar, if you're thinking about changing the grips.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts