Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I've had this one persistent problem as long as I can remember. If I use a low stem and a flat handlebar, then I can't pull the bike up for bunny hops and drop offs, no matter how much I practice.
Then if I install a riser stem and riser bars, I can pull the bike up without any problem, but the handling becomes really awkward and obviously climbing becomes hard.
Have you guys encountered such problem and how do you solve it for yourself?
Thanks!

P.S: Here's a couple of photos of my current configuration. Bars a too high and ride is really really awkward. I sit straight up, like I'm on a cruiser bike.
p4pb10694971.jpg
p4pb10694970.jpg

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
First thing I notice is that your seat is absolutely slammed. Do you ride like that? Might be part of the problem.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
How tall are you, and what size frame (Reign X or Reign?) is that?

Looks like you have a dropper post, but as you mentioned, the bar still looks too high to me. And, how much travel does that fork have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing I notice is that your seat is absolutely slammed. Do you ride like that? Might be part of the problem.
It's a dropper post. When I sit on the saddle, it's as high as the length of my legs allows.

How tall are you, and what size frame is that?

Looks like you have a dropper post, but as you mentioned, the bar still looks too high to me. And, how much travel does that fork have?
I'm 167cm or about 5'6". The frame is small, and the fork is 160mm, which is standard for this frame.
Yes, the bar is very high. But when it's lower, I can't pull the bike up.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Reign, or Reign X?

I know some Reigns came with 160mm forks, but I think the Reign steers like crap with anything over 150mm. I think a 145mm fork is actually the sweet spot for fork travel on the Reign. IMHO, regardless of whether or not you can pull up the front wheel better or not, the handlebars look too high for the height of that saddle (even if the seatpost was extended). The stem looks fairly short, but it may need to go shorter, and I think you should definitely get that handlebar lower.

Do you have the rebound slowed down on the fork? The rebound speeds on the fork and shock need to be sync'd. If the fork is too slow, the back wheel will kick up too high when you go off of jumps. If that is what is happening, I would either slow the rebound on the shock or speed up the rebound on the fork (my personal preference would be to speed up the fork's rebound).

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Popping a wheelie or landing on both wheels at the same time after a drop can be really difficult if you primarily pull up on the bars. When you pull the bar towards you, the distance between your chest and bar becomes smaller -> your weight shifts forward. You can momentarily jerk the front wheel up but not anything significant.

Instead try to "preload" by flexing your arms and lowering the chest, then at the moment when you want to go make a strong pedal stroke and extend your arms with explosive force. Shift your weight to the rear and avoid a pulling motion with your arms. Once you're going keep the arms straight or at least straight'ish and your weight will be back enough to unweigh the front.

Also, definitely get that handlebar lower.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's a dropper post. When I sit on the saddle, it's as high as the length of my legs allows.

I'm 167cm or about 5'6". The frame is small, and the fork is 160mm, which is standard for this frame.
Yes, the bar is very high. But when it's lower, I can't pull the bike up.
Take a photo with the seat in proper position - it makes it easier for people to visualize the height of the front end relative to the bars.

If I can pop the front to clear an 18inch log and bring the rear over with a 4" seat to bar drop, rest assured you can pull a balanced wheelie on that - better people than I , can give nice descriptions on technique to do it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies guys! I'll try to play with my rebound speeds and I will make a photo with my seat up as soon as I have some free time.
The thing is, I can hardly improve my skills now, because I've been doing bunny hops and manuals on my hardtails for 10 years now and my technique is pretty much set now, I don't think I can change it much. But now when I ride a full-suspenson bike my technique just doesn't work unless I set up the bars ridiculously high.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You have a set technique for the hard tails, now just ADD to the skill you have down to do the same on an FS bike. I was in my mid 40's and approaching things in a BMX style, and could pull off things on my hard tail that I could not on my suspension bikes. After a skills clinic, I was able to change a few actions to make things work out on whichever type of bike I was riding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe it's my technique that's wrong but handlebar position and seat position doesn't affect my ability to bunny hop.

I'm no expert but this works for me...My arms are attached to the handlebar which is attached to my body. Pedals at 3 and 9 oclock, bassically using the pedals as a platform to load up my legs, I jump off the pedals. So I'm using legs and the arms are just attached to the bike and holding on to the bike hence it pulls the bike off the ground.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts