Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys ride the ti jones bars and probably have tried carbon bars as well. So what's your take on how how the two materials feel, pardoning the fact that they are different bars. Which is stiffer, which reduces more of the trail vibrations, maybe put more simply, which material can be ridden on for longer without discomfort.

·
Pudgy Old Guy
536 Posts
I honestly can't...

b12yan88 said:
I know a lot of you guys ride the ti jones bars and probably have tried carbon bars as well. So what's your take on how how the two materials feel, pardoning the fact that they are different bars. Which is stiffer, which reduces more of the trail vibrations, maybe put more simply, which material can be ridden on for longer without discomfort.
feel any difference. I like the position on the Jones bar better but I don't sense any difference due to material. This is with suspension fork though - probably makes a larger difference with a rigid fork.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Ti..

I have tried the three types, Alloy, Carbon and Ti on bikes with and without front suspension.

The Ti bars are definitely the softest and most compliant.

The alloy bars were the harshest, and the carbon more towards the Ti end of the spectrum.

I used to think that the carbon bars were the best for damping until I actually tried the titanium JJ H-bars.

There is another factor. As I know quite a bit about carbon composite and carbon moulding and lay-up technique from my previous experience using these materials, there was always the thought in the back of my mind when riding down steep hills and braking hard over the bumps that the carbon bars might break.

Now I know full well that the number of bar breakages is very low for carbon handlebars, but even so, I was never 100% happy when I used them.

Of course, Ti can break and so can alloy given the right set of circumstances, but somehow I feel much safer on the Ti bars than I did on the carbon ones.

I feel that the Ti bars are more comfortable over the carbon or alloy bars, especially on longer rides.

That's my opinion, others may disagree.. :)

R.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
About that mode of failure...

Hey Rainman, would you elaborate on that bit about carbon and breaking. I don't want to start a flame war or anything but I thought they were designed to not shatter or break suddenly. But I don't know where I got that info either....certainly I don't know much about composites. I broke a stem once (a steel flex-stem) and it didn't quite "snap off" but it was still not a good thing. But can't they make them to fold kinda like a drinking straw instead of shattering like glass?

Back OT, I've never tried carbon buy my H-bars are more comfy than my aluminum flat bars. It could be positioning but when I push on the bars I can see them flex a little (in a good way). They are flattened a little...maybe to give you a wider surface to grab and allow more flex too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My experience with carbon (Ritchey WCS OS flatbar) is that it felt too soft for me and inluenced handling the bike in a negative way. The ti Moots flatbar I'm using on one of my bikes is perfect for me, not too harsh, not too soft/compliant, just perfect. The Jones I've got on another bike feels great too.

I guess it depends on personal preference and things like rider weight will be a factor too.

Just my 2 cts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
Hey Rainman, would you elaborate on that bit about carbon and breaking. I don't want to start a flame war or anything but I thought they were designed to not shatter or break suddenly. But I don't know where I got that info either....certainly I don't know much about composites. I broke a stem once (a steel flex-stem) and it didn't quite "snap off" but it was still not a good thing. But can't they make them to fold kinda like a drinking straw instead of shattering like glass?
My experience with carbon tube constructions has been that when nicked or slightly damaged by a strike or impact against an object, or when point-loaded as in a slightly too tight brake lever clamp or stem clamp, the carbon fiber can fail catastrophically...ie snap.

There is no "bending like a drinking straw" with carbon failure. It is either sound, or it breaks.

This is why it is VERY important to take careful heed of the manufacturers torque instructions regarding the assembling of lever clamps and stems when using carbon bars, or any other carbon products.

The jagged end of a broken carbon bar through the chest is a frightening thought, as the sharp shards and splinters tend to break off inside you on impact.

R.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
b12yan88 said:
Do you feel that this compliancy will hinder handling accuracy or steering performance ?
It does not to any appreciable factor in my experience.

There is some small amount of flex under pressure of grinding slowly up steep climbs, and I can make the bars flex upward slightly under these conditions when I work them very hard, but it in no way hinders or takes away from the great feeling of the bars, or affects the handling or steering accuracy in any way for me. They are in no sense of the word.."flexy" or "noodly".

Quite the opposite, really. Ti generally has a sweet absorption rate without feeling too soft if purpose built by guys who know their craft.

R.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,469 Posts
Rainman said:
My experience with carbon tube constructions has been that when nicked or slightly damaged by a strike or impact against an object, or when point-loaded as in a slightly too tight brake lever clamp or stem clamp, the carbon fiber can fail catastrophically...ie snap.

There is no "bending like a drinking straw" with carbon failure. It is either sound, or it breaks.

This is why it is VERY important to take careful heed of the manufacturers torque instructions regarding the assembling of lever clamps and stems when using carbon bars, or any other carbon products.

The jagged end of a broken carbon bar through the chest is a frightening thought, as the sharp shards and splinters tend to break off inside you on impact.

R.
I believe Dirt Rag did a story on this a few years back. What they found, was that most of the manufacturers who made both stems, and bars, would use their carbon bars as stem breakage test levers. This was because they found that they got more cycles out of a carbon bar, and frequently, the alloy bars would break before the stems did. Same thing, here, not flaming, just tossing it in the stewpot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i have...

titec hellion xc ti risers and azonic cf-1 carbon risers on all my bikes save one. both are very comfortable but the titec's feel a little more accurate steering. it may be due to the shorter length (25in to 26in for the cf-1's). i just put an aluminum bonty race-lite flat bar on my bizango and cannot believe the harshness of the ride :( . night and day from carbon or ti. im now looking for a carbon flat bar 24in or longer with 5 deg. or more back sweep. seems impossible to find :( .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.