Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to register...

after a long time away from serious riding, i'm getting back on the trails. i had a 2000 trek 6000 and i just had all of its components switched over to a gary fisher sugar 1 frame and now i'm looking to start upgrading the components a little at a time. a few parts wouldn't switch right over, so its got a new bottom bracket, front derailleur, and a titec pluto carbon seatpost.

as i said, i'll be doing my upgrades a little at a time, but the most pressing upgrades for me are the stem and handlebars. obviously the trek stem isn't the right geometry for the sugar (and i think it probably weighs a ton!) so this is what i'm looking at:

i found a good package deal at an online retailer:

easton monkey lite carbon low rise
thomson elite X4 90mm stem
lock-on grips
$149.95

or i can piece it together from a couple of ebay stores:

titec pluto carbon 90mm stem
titec pluto carbon low rise bar
$130.00

and then grips, which would make it a little less than the package deal

i'm leaning towards the titec (the seatpost is pretty sweet, and ultralight) setup as its a bit lighter, i like the idea of having the seatpost, stem, and handlebars matching (dorky i know...lol), i'd like as much carbon fiber as i can to match the sugar's rear triangle, and i think i like the looks a bit better (yes, dorky...lol!) are these two choices pretty close, or is one much better than the other?

thanks for the help for this, and all the many future questions i'll have!!!

ps- this will mostly be for midwestern flat-ish x-country

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I'd go for package A as well. Thomson is top notch, and the Easton Monkey Lite XC is approved for bar ends. The CNT they use is pretty nice - particulary for longevity. Since you are using lock on grips - I'd go with the Easton.

That being said, the only carbon bar I've owned is a Titec Hellbent and it was very good as well - paired with a Thomson stem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
somata said:
easton monkey lite carbon low rise
thomson elite X4 90mm stem
lock-on grips

ps- this will mostly be for midwestern flat-ish x-country
I ride upper-Midwest XC on a 17" steel HT. Not suggesting this is ideal for you nor the "best" but I run the following (working well for me).

Easton EA50 MonkeyBar Lo Rise cut-down to 24" w/ Titec ends
100mm Thomson Elite X4
Odi Lock-On, Oury

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i did end up going with the easton/thomson deal, they seemed to be just about the top of the heap for those components, especially for the price..

and sorry about not posting where i got them...doh!

it's at

www.beyondbikes.com

go to components, then handlebars, then easton. they have another deal that has (i think) the monkey lite carbon riser, easton stem, and switches out the grips for a headset...

my package is the monkey lite carbon riser, thomson elite x4 stem, and a set of beyond bikes logo'd lock-on grips by the

shipping was $10...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
somata said:
so i did end up going with the easton/thomson deal, they seemed to be just about the top of the heap for those components, especially for the price..

www.beyondbikes.com
Awesome the should serve you well, be careful tightening the tiny allen bolt for the grip clamps it doesnt take much to tighten & they do strip if you gorilla them. :rockon:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.