Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I roll a handlebar with 8* backsweep and 5* upsweep into a position of 9* backsweep bar and ~4* upsweep, or 10* backsweep and ~3* upsweep?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Can I roll a handlebar with 8* backsweep and 5* upsweep into a position of 9* backsweep bar and ~4* upsweep, or 10* backsweep and ~3* upsweep?
I can't do that much math, but you can rotate it just about however you want, ride it, and see if you like it. If you have the capability to measure 1 degree changes, more power to you!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you are trying to match the feel of a 9/4 bar with your 8/5 bar, I doubt you can make it feel identical. Perhaps you can get a similar feel.

If you are asking if you can roll the bars backward and still use them comfortably, then yes you can.

With the compound angles, you won't be able to make the two values match another value with only a single pivot.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Is this a hypothetical question? Or are do you think you can actually feel the difference between handlebars with those angles? I chose a handlebar with 12° backsweep because I like a little more sweep for the width, but I just played with the angle until I found something that feels good in few positions, no additional math involved.

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the compound angles, you won't be able to make the two values match another value with only a single pivot.
That's also what I was thinking, expressed by my preceding the estimated upsweep #s with a "~". The upsweep will decrease as the backsweep increases, but not at the same rate (nor a linear rate), though I'd guess it's close. I'm just trying to confirm the basic relationship between angles, get a rough estimate of how they affect one another as the bar is rolled, and make sure I'm not overlooking anything (like compromising the bar's resistance to breaking).

Is this a hypothetical question? Or are do you think you can actually feel the difference between handlebars with those angles?
It's hypothetical but do think I can feel the difference. Like you, I micro-adjust a bar by feel, but have found I consistently roll a bar back until I dial out any sense of excessive upsweep, then stop.

For years I ran narrower 9/5 bars a bit rolled back, so maybe ~10/4 or ~11/3. Moving to wide bars, I briefly ran a 8/4 bar rolled to ~9/3 - it felt different, nice when standing, encouraged an attack position. Got a deal on a 9/6 bar and promptly rolled out that nagging upsweep, so guessing backsweep is at least 11*. More comfy, less aggressive, reach has shrunk. This bar is carbon with 38mm rise, so I'm keeping it, but sorta think I'd prefer less backsweep (life must be swell if these are my concerns...).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just walk into the lbs and grab bars with nothing attached. Not even grips. It will quickly become apparent what feels really bad and really good. This natural feel is what you want on your bike. IMO. Its what i did. After that read the numbers and then pick your price and material. Done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts