Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i've finally decided to get myself a 2006 Prophet 1000 or 2007 Prophet 4. i'm not too thrilled with the super wide handlebar setup though. most of my riding is in pretty tight & twisty singletrack, and i like being able to squeeze thru the trees without snagging my bars all the time.
i currently own a '97 F900 with a pretty narrow, flat bar that is 21" from tip to tip. i'd like to find a similarly narrow riser or flat bar that will work well with the prophet. any suggestions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just cut down the stock bar. Some manufacturers even put marks at 5mm or so intervals to allow people to cut both sides evenly. The stock FSA bar you should have is a pretty solid alloy bar, so cutting it down should be very easy. Just make sure after you cut you debur and radius the edges so they don't tear up your grips, and to ease installation.

mfisher1971 said:
ok, so i've finally decided to get myself a 2006 Prophet 1000 or 2007 Prophet 4. i'm not too thrilled with the super wide handlebar setup though. most of my riding is in pretty tight & twisty singletrack, and i like being able to squeeze thru the trees without snagging my bars all the time.
i currently own a '97 F900 with a pretty narrow, flat bar that is 21" from tip to tip. i'd like to find a similarly narrow riser or flat bar that will work well with the prophet. any suggestions?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, that was my first thought, but i was a little worried about the way the stock bar fattens up toward the center. it looks like it would be tough to take too much off either side, since the shifters can only fit around the skinny of the bar. i think i'll still be able to slice an inch or so off each side at least.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hugh088 said:
Cut about .75" off my 07 Prophet 4, no problem. There is plenty of room there.
would you mind giving me a measurement on the width of your bars, tip to tip? just curious how they compare to my current ride...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.