Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Giant Anthem X1 29r this year and raced it at the 24 hours of old Pueblo a few weeks back. Haviing no time really to dial in the position before the race....during the race I developed some back pain. I think it's down to either needing a sligh riser bar or a tad longer stem. Current setup feels comfortable at first, but my back is a little rounded and need to flatten it a bit to eliminate the stress on it.

Looking for something wicked light but strong enough to ride with confidence.

Thoughts???

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
In my case I started with the light weight option on the bar and then changed my stem around that choice. For me it was a FSA K-Force Light flat bar (115gr, 600mm). So far so good. I know there is lighter out there, I just got a great deal on the FSA and the weight for 600mm is good enough.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I had the same issues with standard flat bars on my previous bike. Went to a Syntace Duraflite flat bar, which is actually flat across the top, so basically like a 1cm rise, but light and quite wide. I cut mine down to 605mm and it works well for my narrow body. Very high strength tests as well, if you're worried about durability. I've moved it to my new rig and will be racing it again. Highly recommened.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
chainringX2 said:
Got a new Giant Anthem X1 29r this year and raced it at the 24 hours of old Pueblo a few weeks back. Haviing no time really to dial in the position before the race....during the race I developed some back pain. I think it's down to either needing a sligh riser bar or a tad longer stem. Current setup feels comfortable at first, but my back is a little rounded and need to flatten it a bit to eliminate the stress on it.

Looking for something wicked light but strong enough to ride with confidence.

Thoughts???
Wicked light usually means a pretty narrow bar which doesn't always translate well to handling the 29"er front wheel unless you are of the very small and narrow variety body size. So wicked light for width would be in the 140 - 166g area (bars such as Salsa Pro Moto Carbon flat bar at 660mm or Origin 8 Pro Pulsion Pro Sweep at 640mm). Both of those flat bars come in sweeps ranging from 3 or 5 degress all the way up to 15 and 17 degrees.

I run the Syntace 12 degree Duraflite bars that are 600mm wide on one bike, Salsa on another and the Origin 8's on another. Interesting about the Origin 8's when I was trying to determine the weight. The packaging said 245g, but my bar weighs 166g. Wrote about it here.

Never hurts to have a few stems and bars in your parts bin to experiment with fit and what works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.