Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have H-bars, Mary bars, Luv Handles, Midge, Titec ti flat tracker, etc.

I have been running bar ends on my Luv's. But set up this way they seem a little too narrow and I can't get my levers far enough away.

I'm interested in wider bars that will give me more room. I think the Surly Torsion Bar sounds good, but it might be too narrow.

Mostly, I want a wide bar, that can take bar ends, has a good amount of sweep, and IS GOOD FOR RIGID riding.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
124 Posts
luvs

I just ordered the luv handles from Rody, and did the 28", $15 upgrade. They should be here in Feb. Wondered if you were running 26" or 28" luvs. I also have the salsa pro moto, and it's wide and wonderful.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ifrider2 said:
I just ordered the luv handles from Rody, and did the 28", $15 upgrade. They should be here in Feb. Wondered if you were running 26" or 28" luvs. I also have the salsa pro moto, and it's wide and wonderful.
I have the 26" Luvs. That funny because I didn't know you could get them longer, but I thought it would be easy enough to ask for. Now I know.

You all seem to think the Pro Moto is good. Is the aluminum comfortable? This is the one you are talking about right? https://www.salsacycles.com/images/zoom_promotoflat.jpg
The 17* only comes in the OS (although I guess I dont care).

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
I have the 26" Luvs. That funny because I didn't know you could get them longer, but I thought it would be easy enough to ask for. Now I know.

You all seem to think the Pro Moto is good. Is the aluminum comfortable? This is the one you are talking about right? https://www.salsacycles.com/images/zoom_promotoflat.jpg
The Moto Ace model comes in a 25.4mm x 17* version, but it isn't quite as wide (660mm vs 710mm)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boomn said:
The Moto Ace model comes in a 25.4mm x 17* version, but it isn't quite as wide (660mm vs 710mm)
I could probably get away with the 25.4, because I could move the levers farther inboard than I can on my current Luv. Still interested in how the aluminum is for riding rigid and whether it is too harsh.

·
Registered
124 Posts
not harsh

I have my aluminum salsa pro moto 17's, OS on my 29er rigid. I like them just fine. They are stiff, but that's how I like them. If you want some cush, go ti like black sheep, moots, or something. I am SURE you could sell those 26" luvs REAL fast on here! Sell em, and order up a set of 28 inchers. Are you looking for some forgiveness in your bars?

·
Registered
124 Posts
you probably already have heard this...

but here is my formula. You sound a lot like me. I switch up bars sort of often but usually always use my ergon grips. Have to find the correct angle, but when you do, oh boy.

Also, try the oury regular grips. A bit more cush and more gripy than the lock on brother.

I love my titec ti flat trackers, so that could be part of the ticket. Also love my ti black sheep flat bar.

Ti stem? money money money. I don't have one. Ti post, yes, ti stem, someday?

Tires: I like a 2.35 up front. Tubed or tubeless, doesn't matter to me. I have ridden a 2.5, but that's a little overkill. Just find the right psi.

Other tips? Chime in...

keep on SS'in.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ifrider2 said:
but here is my formula. You sound a lot like me. I switch up bars sort of often but usually always use my ergon grips. Have to find the correct angle, but when you do, oh boy.

Also, try the oury regular grips. A bit more cush and more gripy than the lock on brother.

I love my titec ti flat trackers, so that could be part of the ticket. Also love my ti black sheep flat bar.

Ti stem? money money money. I don't have one. Ti post, yes, ti stem, someday?

Tires: I like a 2.35 up front. Tubed or tubeless, doesn't matter to me. I have ridden a 2.5, but that's a little overkill. Just find the right psi.

Other tips? Chime in...

keep on SS'in.
I have gone through a lot of handlebars, but I don't usually change them often (or maybe I do?).

A custom ti bar would be the best solution, but I don't want to spend that kind of cash right now. I will probably take my flat tracker and put that on. Its no wider than the Luv's, but I can put the levers further inboard so my hands have a little more room. I'm not super confident about using bar ends on the Titec though...

I have a ti post, but I doubt I will ever buy a ti stem.

I have used the Oury's, but they never agreed with my hands for some reason. I have Ergon GX1's, but I think on of the other models is probably a little softer on the hands. I might have to try some different Ergons.

On the bike in question (650B) I have a tubed 2.3 Neo-Moto. Yesterday I put a 29er wheel on it to try. The 29er wheel has a 2.3 Spec Resolution tubeless on a Flow rim. I usually run about 20ish PSI. Felt pretty good.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
I have H-bars, Mary bars, Luv Handles, Midge, Titec ti flat tracker, etc.

I have been running bar ends on my Luv's. But set up this way they seem a little too narrow and I can't get my levers far enough away.

I'm interested in wider bars that will give me more room. I think the Surly Torsion Bar sounds good, but it might be too narrow.

Mostly, I want a wide bar, that can take bar ends, has a good amount of sweep, and IS GOOD FOR RIGID riding.

Suggestions?
Surly Torsion Bar! love it! :thumbsup:

plenty wide :thumbsup:

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
That second picture makes it look wider than it really is. 666mm is just a hair over 26". It does look like a good bar though.
the other two pix really don't show the sweep this one does. have this bar on all my 29ers!

·
awesome
817 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Yes that's the one, I have the Carbon version and I like it a lot.
No barends though, but I've extensively used some plastic ones from pricepoint on a Titec carbon bar with no problems. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.