Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much anyone who's been on a bike for 10+ hours knows what hand pain feels like. On my regular bikepacking rig as well as our mountain tandem, I run Jones H Bars as I can get the sweep angle set to where the inner and out edges of my palms have even pressure on them. I've even wrapped up some wrap material so that the area where my hands typically rest bulge up a bit and spread more of the pressure into the central part of my palms.

If you do this as well, what kinds of materials do you use for padding?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting. Hadn't thought of a DIY ergo on the top of my bars. I pick my drop bars based on how well the drop fits my hand using exactly the metric you stated above. The Ritchey bend on the VentureMax seems to fit my XXL hand pretty well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought that adding padding for the central part of your palms just increases pressure on your carpal tunnel, which is generally what you don't want. But my knowledge may be fifteen to twenty years out of date.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Spongy bar tape works. A grip with a platform like some Ergon can be a better base to work from than a cylindrical grip, but I don't see many of those on Jones H-bars.
I just put Ergon GS1 large grips on my loop bar. I like them better than the GP1 that I have used for years, they are softer, fit my hand better. My hands get numb, these do work well.

·
Bear Bait
206 Posts
I've found I simply can't ride flat bars for more than an hour without my hands hurting unless I use Ergon grips. They are a game changer. And they make a model for the super high sweep of Jones bars.

Beyond that, the other big piece of advice for hand pain is not something you're gonna like to hear. But do core exercises. It sucks, but it really does make a HUGE difference. When I'm going to the gym regularly I never have hand problems. When I start getting hand problems, it is always when I haven't been to the gym in a while. Your core is super important when it comes to lifting your upper body off of your bars. Ideally, you shouldn't really have any weight on your hands during flat straight riding...

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
I like Ergon grips and then I make sure I can change hand positions somewhat frequently. also find it really depends on terrain. On singletrack I move around enough and use my hands enough that I don't seem to have issues even on long days. OTOH - gravel grinding is a lot harder on my hands and I have to consciously move them around.

I don't find extra padding really helps me so much as changing hand positions and using both hands.

One trick I'll use is if my right hand gets used to shift a bunch, but left hand is mostly on the bars I'll grab my bottle with the left hand so it gets a break from the bars and does something different.

I can also change how my hands feel a lot by moving my bars up/down and fwd/back. Of course that shifts weight to your saddle/pedals so you have to find a comfortable balance.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
I've found I simply can't ride flat bars for more than an hour without my hands hurting unless I use Ergon grips. They are a game changer. And they make a model for the super high sweep of Jones bars.

Beyond that, the other big piece of advice for hand pain is not something you're gonna like to hear. But do core exercises. It sucks, but it really does make a HUGE difference. When I'm going to the gym regularly I never have hand problems. When I start getting hand problems, it is always when I haven't been to the gym in a while. Your core is super important when it comes to lifting your upper body off of your bars. Ideally, you shouldn't really have any weight on your hands during flat straight riding...
Don't use the high sweep model if you want to keep your sweep, they have the effect of straightening out your bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.