Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to best post this so I guess I will start here.

Are handlebar mounts made for specific cameras or are there universal handlebar mounts?

Do they make a handlebar mount for this:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1363

as I am looking for a good setup for making some videos.

Also, could you makybe share or recommend a good setup for making some riding vids that you use or think would work well.

I like the Stylus as it seems I can make riding vids pretty confidently and have a perfectly good point and shoot for normal picture taking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
V.I.O. makes something called an ultra-clamp. It is on this page (scroll down once you are at the page):

http://www.vio-pov.com/allproducts.php?xid=8ed8073631338b7d01e2c6728ae0f74c&login=&mem=&gr=

I just got my ultra clamp, but haven't used it yet. I wouldn't use it if your handlebars are carbon though. Also, I've gotten better video from mounting the camera to the headtube rather than to the handlebars (The side to side movement of the bars is distracting to me).

I made my own mount to fit my cam to the front tube that I used in this video:

I also switched back and forth between that mount and a seatpost mount (facing rear). I also threw in some shots of me riding the bike to break it up a little bit.

On this next video, I mounted the camera under the seat to give stability to the camera and to get the handlebars in the picture for perspective (on rolling ups and downs). I also switched back and forth between front and back views (switching in the middle of an obstacle) so that you see the obstacle coming up, then see it from the back view.

Best of luck, have fun,
Bri

·
Banned
167 Posts
Something like the VIO ultra clamp will fail over time when you're using it something like that Olympus.

Clamps like that use friction created by clamping plastic ball shapes with the flat side pieces (that's how you change camera orientation) and over time, especially riding off-road, they will fail.

If you are serious about wanting to attach that camera to your handlebars I would recommend against it. That camera's tripod mount is not robust at all (it's just plastic) and the rigors of mountain biking with the camera attached to the frame, handlebars, etc. will crack it in short order.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very cool videos expecially the seatpost mounted view. Kinda reminds me of the Naked Gun opening sequences.

The night video works surprisingly well but it also looks like you have a pretty serious light setup.

It's kind of hard for me to tell how that device would work but that will confidently hold a point and shoot camera like the one mentioned above?

I'd really like to see shots of your setup as that seems really solid and something I would like to mimic.

Thanks a lot for your input!

edit: Agree, I will just have to invest in a camera meant for these applications. I also quickly found your other threads so this one is kind of moot.

Thanks again!

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
Pete Fagerlin said:
Something like the VIO ultra clamp will fail over time when you're using it something like that Olympus.

Clamps like that use friction created by clamping plastic ball shapes with the flat side pieces (that's how you change camera orientation) and over time, especially riding off-road, they will fail.

If you are serious about wanting to attach that camera to your handlebars I would recommend against it. That camera's tripod mount is not robust at all (it's just plastic) and the rigors of mountain biking with the camera attached to the frame, handlebars, etc. will crack it in short order.
Do you have any suggestions that you can offer?

·
Banned
167 Posts
BobRocket said:
Do you have any suggestions that you can offer?
Yes, my suggestion, as stated above would be that he not use that camera if he is going to mount it to a frame via the tripod mount.

If he's going to use a different camera with a more robust tripod mount and insists on mounting the camera to the handlebar, then something like the Manfrotto Superclamp, while heavier, is a robust solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.