Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new carbon bar and i was wondering whats the best all around length? Is the stock 660 mm too long?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yup, ^^^ He's Right.

Your bar length is mostly determined by shoulder width and personal preference. If the stock bar feels good than dont touch it, if you think it is too wide than slide in your grips,brakes and shifters and try it out before you cut you bar down.

I personally cut my riser bars way down, I like that quick steering feel.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
As said, its a personal choice.

Having said that...many out west where its more open go with wider bars sometimes, for the extra leverage. Here in the SE mtns and such where its always wooded, a narrower bar is sometimes a big help, espeically where you have tight narrow singletrack. One can also skirt mud holes, techy and tight wooded climbs, etc. easier with narrower bars since they offer more manuvering room and quicker steering.

I like'm at about 24" wide. ymmv.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I like'em at about 24 to 24.5 as well. If I go narrower I seemed too bunched up. Wider and the local intestine like trails start to get really challenging.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'm out west in Utah, no bar hitting issues with trees for the most part.

I keep the bars uncut at 26" and get great high speed stability. I also run a short stem which in theory, quickens the steering compared to a longer stem. The longer bar probably helps slower the quick steering from the stem in my case.

You need to find what works for you. So try it as is, then cut it down as needed.

Any tips on cutting down carbon bars?? I've always wondered if you can accidently ruin it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.