Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my Easton E70 (685mm) handlebar with a Easton Havoc (710mm), is there anyone using this lenght for AM purposes? I'm using a 70mm stem if that helps....I've been using the E70 for almost a year but I can't get used to its lenght, it seems as if I need more control but I don't know if 710mm would be too much when climbing, any thoughts on that??:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That's a tough question with all manner of variables. Where do you ride?...anything like tight trees, rock formations, etc. to grab your bar? What kind of bike and riding?...DH and FR like wider bars as a general rule. How big are you?...a rider's shoulder size affects bar width choice to some degree.

Overall for my Nomad and trail Bullits, I like 26" bars, but as always, your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the place where I ride has few places where my bar can hit a tree or sth. similar, and I'm 5'7 tall, and the bike I ride it's a Heckler, but the thing is I'm used to run wider bars as I run wider bars on my dh rig, so it seems I have never been able to get used to the E70 bar...anyway, I can always cut down a bit the 710mm bar if it's too wide for my AM applications...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I run 710 with a 70mm on my AM bike and It works good. Some of the XC trails I ride have really tight trees and it can be hard to get through them but it's all part of the fun. I really like the extra control I get so I'm willing to deal with a little extra width. Just get a pair and as you said cut them a little if it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And how does it work in climbings??

Radam77 said:
I run 710 with a 70mm on my AM bike and It works good. Some of the XC trails I ride have really tight trees and it can be hard to get through them but it's all part of the fun. I really like the extra control I get so I'm willing to deal with a little extra width. Just get a pair and as you said cut them a little if it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ban said:
And how does it work in climbings??
Sorry, at work so had to cut that answere short. I find that it works well, you just have to change your technique a little. I feel that if your running a stem under 80mm then the wider bar (710mm) acually gives you a little more reach because of the wider grip which allows you to get over the front on climbs especially steep ones. Think xc racers and their bar ends. Not sure if this makes since but it works for me.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I run a Havoc on my BLT trail bike with 70mm Thomson stem and love it. Of course I'm used to running wider DH bars too since I'm usually on my DH/FR bikes. One trail did get me tho - left some skin on the trees at Upper Mrazek near Bend, LOL! So not recommended for really tight trails but I rarely ride those anyway.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
40 Posts
i also run a Sunline with a 55mm stem on a ASX. very confortable and i can quickly change directions by pressing on either end of the bar. the bar is so long i use less strength to lean the bike into turns and quickly change directions. longer bar creates more leverage with less strength.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
YETI05 said:
i also run a Sunline with a 55mm stem on a ASX. very confortable and i can quickly change directions by pressing on either end of the bar. the bar is so long i use less strength to lean the bike into turns and quickly change directions. longer bar creates more leverage with less strength.
So true, as soon as you get used to the clearance issues - going through tight places, trees and such- There are nothing but advantages: stability, balance, comfort, etc.
So what did you get??

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I run the same bar, stem, grips, shifters, brakes, and brake levers on my AM and DH/FR bike. It make switching between them easier.

Bar: Deity 2014
Stem: Thomson 50mm
Shifters: XO Grips
Brakes: Juicy 7s w/ Dangerboys
Grips: Rogues

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.