Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost ready to switch from a 26 Spec. Stumpjumper to a 29er Spec. Stumpjumper, but I have one remaining issue.
In the event of a crash, the handlebars on a 29er do not spin around and I am concerned about a strong impact of the handlebars on the top tube. Has anyone had any issues with damaged carbon in this situation?

Also, any good ideas on how to protect the top tube without making a very expensive bike look ugly?

Thanks in advance

·
Riding rigid
287 Posts
My brake levers were hitting the top bar, but i turned them up a tad to clear. My flat handlebars clear my top tube fine, I am running a zero rise stem at 90mm. Are you running a negative rise? Flat bar or risers? There is a high potential for damage. Maybe run some original Oury grips with the closed ends.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
you could keep your brake levers loose-ish so that if the impact the top tube, they'll spin rather than break or damage the top tube. I have this problem on one of my bikes and it just gouged my custom paint. A lot of times, you'll see top tubes with dents from this type of impact. If it's Carbon, you've got more than dents to worry about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested a bike at a lbs that had a flat bar and zero rise on the stem. The guys at the shop said it was critical to have the grips at the same height from the ground as they would be on a 26er.

·
Your Best Friend
5,661 Posts
I won't say you can't see it but I put 4 layers of helicopter tape over the section that the shifters would hit in the event of a crash. It is clear so it doesn't readily stand out but it is visible. It works too, saved my top tube at least once I'm sure. I have seen friends bikes with chunks taken out and I decided the small visual blemish was worth it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also am wondering if this is a problem unique to Specialized 29ers or if this is a problem with other manufactures of 29er hard tail XC bikes.

Please post what you ride and if you have the same problem.

Thanks!!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Nothing special...

I also am wondering if this is a problem unique to Specialized 29ers or if this is a problem with other manufactures of 29er hard tail XC bikes.

Please post what you ride and if you have the same problem.

Thanks!!
It has nothing to do with 29er's or Specialized. It happens. My steel (26") SS does the same thing. I don't worry about it but obviously it's not a CF bike.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I tested a bike at a lbs that had a flat bar and zero rise on the stem. The guys at the shop said it was critical to have the grips at the same height from the ground as they would be on a 26er.
yeah because everybody needs their bike set up the same way ...

You can tilt the levers but there's a point of diminishing returns where you trade wrist pain for impact prevention.

Have them space the stem up, and/or install a +6 stem and/or riser bar, then re-ride it to see if it works for you or not.

I wouldn't buy a new bike if I noticed it did that *and* there was no way to work around it and have the bike fit right.

FWIW (nothing) neither of my 29ers had this problem, but my 26er does.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I'd consider a matched riding position to be a good starting point for any new bike, but not necessarily the end point of setup.

I have an inner tube wrapped around the part of my top tube that my shifters hit. Dunno how much protection that offers carbon, but it at least spreads out the point of impact a little, which is supposed to be the big deal problem with carbon.

Do it neatly and it doesn't look bad. Do it badly and it looks like crap. Go figure.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
yeah because everybody needs their bike set up the same way ...

You can tilt the levers but there's a point of diminishing returns where you trade wrist pain for impact prevention.

Have them space the stem up, and/or install a +6 stem and/or riser bar, then re-ride it to see if it works for you or not.

I wouldn't buy a new bike if I noticed it did that *and* there was no way to work around it and have the bike fit right.

FWIW (nothing) neither of my 29ers had this problem, but my 26er does.
Yes. Niether of my bikes is CF, so I don't worry...my brake levers on one bike hit a little, the other bike clears fine. Setup is not going to be exactly the same on two different bikes, your LBS seems a bit off on their setup advice, handlebar to cranks, seat etc....yes....relative to the ground...no. :skep:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Your shop is clueless. There is absolutely zero correlation between 26 and 29 geometry. That thinking is precisely why 29ers had whack geometry for a good 5 years before manufacturers made forks with different offsets and frames with decent geometry.

This is, at it's heart, a shitty bit of engineering. It's not huge and blatant but, personally, it would annoy me every day I owned that bike. It does risk damaging the frame (and other parts.) How anal you are is for you to decide. I would pass. Mountain bikes should be made to take a beating.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Mmmm...not really. I'm hoping (and betting) that this is not actually what they really said. Hands belong placed properly in relation to seat and BB.

Attachments

·
1,534 Posts
my bars have always hit the top tube (flat bar, flat/negative stem). there's just little paint nicks there on each side. no biggie. it's not like its ever dented the frame and made it more likely to break right in the middle of the top tube.

there's also scratches on the downtube, scratches from chainsuck, cable wear. it's a bike, not a museum piece.

edit: didn't see the carbon thing. why not just make sure the ends of your grip are rubberized/cushioned in some way?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.