Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a new handlebar and am having a bit of trouble.

I want to notice an increase form my 26" bars, and tried measuring pushup position and it can to 31". Should I try and get something around that range? The spank spike 777 and diety dirty thirty are both high on my list.

Also what characteristic does bar height change? How do you find the "right height" is it just a case of moving it up and down, or does moving it up increase one thing at expense of another and moving it down do the opposite?

One last thing. Both bars mentioned have thicker metal at the tips as far as I can figure. Does this mean that it's not a good idea to trim them?

·
Registered
295 Posts
For best handling bars

For best handling bars for desending a mountain, you want something as close to the position as a motocross motorcycle. You would want a riser bar, I am using a Pro Taper with a slight bend up and back. To find the perfect bend on a handlebar is to grab a stick or screwdriver and hold it like you are gripping a handlebar, now lower you arm to your side, relax your arm to it's natural position while still holding the stick or screwdriver, now raise your arm to the riding pisition and notice the angle of the stick or scredriver, this is the perfect angle you handlebar should be. My Pro Tapers on my bicycle are 27" wide with lock-on grips, my Yamaha WR250F handlebars are 31.5" (a little too wide for a bicycle). I also like to run a shorter stem, like 50mm long, this also helps in handling. When climbing just bend you arms a little if the handlebars feel too high.
Erik,
Balle Racing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.