Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb here with 2020 Trek Marlin 7. Not a senior, but getting there. Looking to raise my bars up and wondering how much it takes to make a noticeable difference? Factory bars are 5mm. What I feel is that I need height and add some backsweep to make things more comfortable on the shoulders and wrists. I don't want to go too far, but then again don't want to come up short. Looking at Deity black label in either a 25mm or 38 mm.

·
Combat Wombat
1,848 Posts
Those Deity bars are sweet and pricey for alloy. As far as which height, and figure in the 9 degree backsweep, all three sizes would be a noticeable difference over what you are currently using. Something to consider....ask the shop where you got the bike, if you could try some different bars. There is a good chance they have some different riser bars you could try first hand.

If that is not an option, anytime I have built up a bike and working on getting the stem/bars dialed for fit, I search the internet for cheaper components. FSA is a good one for this. Their low end stuff is still good quality, just not as pretty and usually heavy. Figure out what you like and then use it for awhile. Down the road if you decide you want to upgrade, you will have a better idea on what you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll reach out to my LBS when I get a chance here. The demo that I rode was a Marlin 6 with ergo shaped grips. I also only went around the block a couple times. I'm actually thinking maybe less is more in this case and 25mm might be plenty.

I'll pop over to the thread that Heist30 linked as well.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts

I like high rise bars and I'm not a senior citizen. They make my body happy and I am not noticing any drop in performance on the trail so it's been a win-win so far.

https://www.deitycomponents.com/highside_handlebar_80mm.html

https://spank-ind.com/products/oozy-trail-780-bar

SQ Labs makes a 12 deg backsweep bar with modest rise. Note that their high rise bar actually measures a lot lower than their product spec so don't be afraid to go for it.

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/handlebars/sqlab-handlebar-3ox-12.html

Go with whatever is most comfortable. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I saw a meme that said you could count the spacers under the stem to see how old the cyclist is, just like counting rings on a tree.
I'm 52, and my neck is not happy with the low front end I could ride in my 20s and 30s, but I'm still happy with bars just a little lower than seat. I've got risers on my hardtail with a shorter head tube, but flat bars on the newer fs bike. I've shortened stems on a couple of bikes, and flipped my road bike stem to get more rise on that one.
Can you post a photo of what you've got now?

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to go too far, and then backtrack a bit.
Agree. Like bracketing.

My bars are higher than virtually every rider I ride with. Both on trail bikes and DH bikes. My legs are long and my neck seems to bend very little and to make it easier to continually focus farther down the trail (instead of just in front of the front tire) I run taller bars. New bikes turn/carve better by leaning them which I find easier to do with high bars.

Anyway, go high and give it a shot.

My favorite bar btw is a Renthal DH bar 40mm rise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw a meme that said you could count the spacers under the stem to see how old the cyclist is, just like counting rings on a tree.
I'm 52, and my neck is not happy with the low front end I could ride in my 20s and 30s, but I'm still happy with bars just a little lower than seat. I've got risers on my hardtail with a shorter head tube, but flat bars on the newer fs bike. I've shortened stems on a couple of bikes, and flipped my road bike stem to get more rise on that one.
Can you post a photo of what you've got now?
Something like this would do well ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my stem spacer stack and bars from above, and a profile pic of the bike as set up. I don't think I can move the top spacer under, but I do think I can move one up in the event that I go a bit to far on the bars. If memory serves I need at least one above and one below possibly 5mm minimum. They are about 3/8"/10mm thick.

Tempted to go with a 38mm bar rise. Not sure if I want to go 9° or 12° backsweep though.

Attachments

·
g=9.764m/s2
807 Posts
Ugh, first thing, move that top spacer under the stem to raise the bars, second,shorten the stem to at 50-60mm max to bring the bars closer to you, lastly for Pete’s sake lose the Reflectors! If you need to road ride in the dark gets some Blinky Blinks. jk

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,909 Posts
If you go ~40mm rise you have alot of stack to make adjustments if it's just a tad too high, good thing.

Rolling the bar fore/aft will push your elbows up/out or down, carful with that adjustment, doesn't take much.

Definitely as others mentioned, bringing stem in will rotate your trunk upward.

Bike shop may have some stems you can try.

You can also slide your seat just a bit forward.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.