Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Handlebar height in a mountain bike

I was adjusting my handlebar height according to some info i got. Basicaly what it said is that your handlebar should be around 3 inches lower than your saddle(saddle is configered properly), i tried this adjustment but its not possible to have this much of a diference in my setup.
What do you think i should look for in terms of saddle-handlebar relative height?
Thanks

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Wow! That's old school cross country.

Get your seat setup first, then put your bars wherever they are comfortable.
Mine are about an inch higher than my seat.
Some like it ultra low, like that outdated racer boy info you somehow got your hands on.
If you're really intent on having them that low, you can flip the stem upside down. Assuming you haven't done that already.

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
I think that any fitting info that explicitly states dimensions like that is BS, its all going to vary from rider to rider. Just put them wherever its comfortable to ride, and realize that if you get it either too high, or too low your handling and control will suffer. Just put it where it feels comfy and the bike is responsive to your riding style.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,453 Posts
Depends on the type of riding you are doing - if you are primarily an all mountain rider your bars will be higher than your saddle, generally. It also depends on the dimensions of the rider too. A really short rider may find it hard to get the bars low enough.

For XC and trail riding, level with the saddle height is a good starting point, and you can fine tune from there.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Three inches below seat for me is a lot, altho I too remember when you'd get that kind of advice as if you were doing some elite xc racing exclusively on certain frames and had the body for it. Without looking/measuring I'd say my bars on a few xc oriented bikes are below seat level by an inch or so, others about level, maybe slightly above for more all mountain sort of riding but with gravity dropper posts to get seats even lower on demand.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I suffer from OTB syndrome, mostly in slow, tight, rocky areas. Also, where others ride down steep rocks and drops squarely on their seat, I tend to move behind my seat to prevent an OTB. Would I benefit from a higher or lower bar? My bar is comfortable at around 2" below seat level. And my seat is pretty high for pedaling efficiency.

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
tduro said:
to prevent an OTB. Would I benefit from a higher or lower bar? My bar is comfortable at around 2" below seat level. And my seat is pretty high for pedaling efficiency.
Try the bar height level with your seat. That will give you the option of pedaling out of the saddle comfortably. A very efficient pedaling position indeed... ;)

For OTB, try a shorter stem. Do you have a 120 now? Go down to 100. You will feel a big difference.

I don't know how high your seat is, but leave some bend on the knees at every point in rotation. This will let you have power even at the dead spot.

Ali

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
pisket said:
Try the bar height level with your seat. That will give you the option of pedaling out of the saddle comfortably. A very efficient pedaling position indeed... ;)

For OTB, try a shorter stem. Do you have a 120 now? Go down to 100. You will feel a big difference.

I don't know how high your seat is, but leave some bend on the knees at every point in rotation. This will let you have power even at the dead spot.

Ali
It came with a 100mm stem. I felt a little cramped in the cockpit, compared to my HT. The LBS is recommending I go with a longer stem, due to the position of my knee relative to the pedal spindle. But I don't think I want to move my CG forward at all. Is there a reason for the "knee over spindle" rule of thumb, or is that just an average of where most folks end up.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
tduro said:
Is there a reason for the "knee over spindle" rule of thumb, or is that just an average of where most folks end up.
It is a pretty good starting point when looking for efficient pedaling and a balanced position on the bike.

OTB ... I find that getting my weight low over the bike is as important as moving back in the steep spots.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
tduro said:
Is there a reason for the "knee over spindle" rule of thumb, or is that just an average of where most folks end up.
Yes...its a good starting point but also it can serve as a sizing guideline.
If your centered in the cockpit and can't achieve KOPS then your probably on a bike thats to big or small.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
tduro said:
I suffer from OTB syndrome, mostly in slow, tight, rocky areas. Also, where others ride down steep rocks and drops squarely on their seat, I tend to move behind my seat to prevent an OTB. Would I benefit from a higher or lower bar? My bar is comfortable at around 2" below seat level. And my seat is pretty high for pedaling efficiency.
Higher, nothing wrong with getting back off your seat either
with your seat high and your bars low its no wonder your going otb. get a higher rise stem and/or riser bars or if you want to spend more money get a gravity dropper seat post

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have a similar question. But I'm 5'-7" with rather short arms. My 15.5" Stumjumper HT (1996) has about a 120mm stem?? What's 4-3/4"??? Dang English tape. It's mounted with a rise.

My bar is about 1" above my seat height with a flat bar.

But I'm just working on shifting my weight back a bit since I seem to have a tendency to endo more than I'd like. I'm sure the blown dampers on the front fork is contributing.

Would a riser bar help?

I'm getting a new fork shipped. So I'm thinking that the alternative is to not cut so much off and put some spacers to raise the bar that way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.