Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flow like water
711 Posts
Anyone use a harness with a Jones truss fork.

Pics/ chat/ ideas

Cheers Andy
Pictures are a great idea, as I have no idea what any of this looks like.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Davy, here's a thread that talks a lot about truss style forks.

Andy, I'll assume that by harness you mean some type of front roll bag to carry stuff (be it from Carousel, Revelate, or even just a compression bag strapped on). I think you could make it work on a Jones. I think the Jones is more curvy than something like a Blacksheep or McClung but I think it could still work. I haven't seen many guys do it but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Maybe they just didn't wanna cover up all those curves? I also think that your stem and handlebar choice is going to matter too. A curvy Jones bar would bring the attachment points a lot further out than a straight bar.

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
"Handlebar Harness" is a Revelate product we've been making for the last 4 years. It works fine on truss forks since there is even better bracing than traditional forks along the bottom for stability. You just have to deal with the usual cable issues.
The new version will be available sometime in June.
Cheers,
Eric

·
Registered
45 Posts
Eric has an excellent point that, because of the structure of the truss fork, there is definitely some extra support built into the design of the fork. That said, I would recommend that any sort of bag be of a small-ish diameter (say 6" or less), for as the diameter grows the bag will move forward away from the the headtube of the bike, as it will not fit into the triangle created by the forward arcing trusses. Most of the commonly available handlebar bags rely on some sort of strap around the headtube.

The pictures above (with all the CDW gear) demonstrate this point quite well.

Scott

·
I like bicycles
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6" will be tough as it'll be for my packraft for some of my trips.

But those side bags look the bomb, bet they cost the same as a rocket though.

maybe i'll try a bit of MYOG

Andy

·
Registered
364 Posts
I like my truss fork for the way it supports my bar roll. No bouncing or wobble at all. I have to fold my bivi bag and mattress a bit narrower than normal to clear the controls due to the H-bars, but overall it's a very stable and compact system. I made a simple strap system that tensions from the rider's position and grips the bar to prevent twisting. PM me if you want details.

DSCN8499 by james-o, on Flickr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts