Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an easton ea70 straight handlebar to try out over my riser bars. The ea70 has really thin walls and the end plugs I have now are too narrow to stay in place.

Does anyone sell end plugs that fit in larger inner diameter handlebars? I don't want the handlebar to cut through the grips when it hits stuff.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This is an old trick. Really nice end caps are available for 10 cents a pair, including delivery.

Drop a nickel into each grip and push it on. No one will ever know you're a cheapskate.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Huh?

jc99 said:
Hah. Clever.

That won't work too well if I ever decide to put my clamp on grips though.

Would a LBS have these lying around like cable crimps?
Hard to tell what you're asking.

If you decide to put your "clamp on grips", you won't need a nickel in the end of the old grip because you have new clamp on grips.

Or you're asking about putting a clamp on the grips with the nickel in it? In that case, a zip tie works really well....

You can eliminate all this by going to ODI, clamp on grips.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
jc99 said:
Hah. Clever.

That won't work too well if I ever decide to put my clamp on grips though.

Would a LBS have these lying around like cable crimps?
You're right, nickels only work to prevent the handlebar from punching through closed end grips. They don't shore up the handlebar itself.

I'm sure the LBS has nickels, but they'd probably charge you a dime for them., fb

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FBinNY said:
I'm sure the LBS has nickels, but they'd probably charge you a dime for them., fb
Haha. :thumbsup:

Hard to tell what you're asking.
I have regular grips and clamp on grips. I haven't decided which one I'm going to be using though. I might even switch back and forth until I decide which one I prefer.

Either case, I don't want to leave the handlebar openings open for mud/water/dirt to fill.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Just get a set of ODI clamp on grips. They are the best, IMO. They come with all you need to set them up, even the end cap.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Ahhh.. thanks....

jc99 said:
Haha. :thumbsup:

I have regular grips and clamp on grips. I haven't decided which one I'm going to be using though. I might even switch back and forth until I decide which one I prefer.

Either case, I don't want to leave the handlebar openings open for mud/water/dirt to fill.
In my opinion, clamp on grips function more reliabably than friction grips. Clamp ons are mechanically bonded to your handle bars and rarely twist.

With clamp on grips, you can purchase some expensive caps that go over the entire grip/clamp assembly to plug the bar or you can but some inexpensive, standard bar end plugs for less than a $1 that will function better. My experience with the expensive caps is that the pressure from the outside of my hands eventually loosens them and they fall off. Always during a ride. And I always notice it after the ride is over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you choose between bar end caps or plugs, i would choose plugs if you use sidebars.

Hope grip doctor's very good
BBBparts also has great plugs.

If you want caps, because you don't have sidebars, you may want to check Straightline components. They have some very cool stuff, even the titanium caps.:D

The HOPE and BBB parts are good value for money. If you want some exlusive stuff like titanium or custom builds by Seastrom - purely custom you can make it as expensive as you want.

Also check some online shops.

good luck making up your mind:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.