Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Handlebar angles.....wrist discomfort

13K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  formica 
#1 ·
I switched to a much wider bar last fall and overall I lovelovelove it. However, I'm getting some wrist pain and wondering how best to trouble shoot it without changing bars a lot. (right) What I am wondering if finding a bar that matched the angles of what I had before, just wider, is the best place to start. I'm pretty sure that what I put on is a little flatter. I have a friend that has a barrel of handlebars so cost is not what I'm worried about, just the PITA factor of changing every thing out.

thoughts anyone?

#10 ·
couple a notes:
one of my coach friends reminded me to check hand position on the bars - elbows out, bar across meaty part of the palm) Check.

Next stop, LBS. Josh measure the sweep of my more narrow bars that I used to run, and he's going to order something in that should be closer to what I used to run. In the meantime, we swapped brakes/shifters and rotated the bar a bit... we'll see how that works out.

#12 · (Edited)
I guess I should update. When Josh LBS guy swapped my brakes/shifters.... that was the solution. It almost forces the positions where the bar crosses the meaty part of the palm diagonally and makes one finger braking even easier than it was before. We didn't change bars at all, maybe rotated them back just a smidge...Should I post a pic of the set up? I've been pain free since the change out.

#13 ·
I guess I should update. When Josh LBS guy swapped my brakes/shifters.... that was the solution. It almost forces the positions where the bar crosses the meaty part of the palm diagonally and makes one finger braking even easier than it was before. Should I post a pic of the set up? I've been pain free since the change out.
Please post a pic. I am having a hard time visualizing.

sent remotely

#14 ·
Ok, here are a few photos. They are kind of funky as I had to do it all by myself.
So, I'm talking about a couple of different things here.
1. Brake levers have been moved in, on the inside of the shifter (towards the centers) They are about 7" from the ends of the bar. They used to be on the other side of the shifters, next to the grips. It was suggested to me to move them in for better fitting quite some time ago, but this was a fairly radical move, swapping them to the inside. It is at least 1.5" closer in than I started with. Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle

Now, in regards to hand position, I have been taught to ride with the bar end going across the "meat" of the palm of the hand like so
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim

which really changes the wrist and forearm angle when riding. Compare this to to just wrapping your hand straight around the bar like so:
Finger Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Wrist

Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Moving the brakes in makes it much more comfortable to manage the brake lever with just one finger, and sets it up so that going for a meat of the palm hand position feels much more natural.
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

Joint Bicycle accessory Glove Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

I work with beginner women a lot, and moving the brake levers towards the center of the handlebar is the #1 bike adjustment I make that seems to really help them.

Hope the photos help clarify what I am talking about.

#16 ·
Sweep is how much they angle (sweep) back toward you. A flat straight bar would have zero sweep and an old English 3-speed would have a lotta sweep. Kinda like when I used clipless pedals I try to feel "where would my foot or wrist be 'happy' and neutral?" Angled more in or out? If your hand wants to be "out" (relative to your forearm) you might want to try more sweep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.