Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a Yeti AS-R for her, with a target weight of about 21 pounds. She only weighs about 100 pounds, and doesn't jump much, so I think she can probably handle the lightest components that I can afford and will fit her bike.

Cost is an issue, within the context that an extra "X" number of dollars per component times the number of components on a bike, can significantly impact the overall cost of the bike. I don't want a $3000 bike to become a $5000 bike.

That said, I'm willing to spend money within reason.

Overall, dollars per gram saved is a primary concern, so I decided to ask the question here.

She wants bar ends, which limits my handlebar options.

As a secondary concern, she'd like a riser bar. At this point, I'm having a hard time seeing how that's going to happen. I haven't cut the steerer tube on the SID yet, so I can make a flat bar work for her.

The bike currently has a Easton EA70 25.4mm stem, so if I get stuck with an oversized bar, I'll need to buy a stem too.

I'm leaning towards an Easton EC70 30.9mm seatpost (about 215 grams) and an Easton EC70 flat 25.4mm handlebar (about 125 grams). I can get them for about $150 delivered.

What other options should I be considering?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Jenson had a blow out on Easton stuff, I picked up a EC70 seatpost for $69 and a EA70 stem for $38. They had the EA90 stem for the same price.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andrea138 said:
How light is your current wheelset?
Mavic Crossmax SL- about 1520 grams.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
i'm currently building a wheelset for my wife, i think rotational is the best place to save weight + anything current should spin alot easier than her ancient circa '04 XTR M965 "light" wheelset

podium mmx + tune princess + tune kong superscharf + cx-ray + race king world cup (26x2.2) + tune skyline + scrub rotors

you can't go far wrong with easton, great prices, but on the mortop thread here there's 87g bars for under $100

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
culturesponge said:
i'm currently building a wheelset for my wife, i think rotational is the best place to save weight
I would agree with you. That is the reason why, after having nothing but positive experiences running Maxxis Maxxlite 310 "1.95" tires (tubeless) on her old bike, we're planning to try the Maxxis Maxxlite 285 "2.0" tires (tubeless) on her new bike.

...on the mortop thread here there's 87g bars for under $100
Link me, please. :)

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spartan034 said:
Really? Maxxlites? what kind of terrian?
The course that we race on involves a 3 mile paved (asphalt) climb, a 10 mile loop (mostly gravel roads), and a surprisingly gnarly 3 mile descent down a completely unimproved powerline road that varies from hardpack, to gravel, to loose rock up to about the size of a bowling ball. The loose rock looks fairly sharp, but we have never sliced a tire on it. I'll tell you what, though, we couldn't make it ten feet with tubes- snakebites galore.

We train on the race course, but we also do more mellow rides that involve mostly rolling hardpack terrain, scattered with the same type of rocks listed above- but not so many that we can't avoid them.).

We don't have thorns here.

The only tire related issue that we've had was my fault, and it was just a set-up issue. I weigh about 185 pounds, and I ran my tire pressure a little bit low for what I was trying to do during a race, and burped a Continental Supersonic (tubeless) tire badly enough during the above listed descent that I had to pretty much walk it down the rest of the way, with only a few pounds of air left in the tire.

She loves the Maxxlite 310s.

·
WTF
292 Posts
RIS said:
Excellent suggestions, although she actually needs a 30.9mm seatpost. I don't think I'd want to run the 27.2mm seatpost with a shim.

I believe he was giving a example of the range of weight

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spartan034 said:
I believe he was giving a example of the range of weight
Yeah, I think we all understood each other. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just ordered the KCNC SC Bone 25.4mm handlebar and the KCNC Ti Pro Lite 30.9mm seatpost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts