Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about doing some upgrades to the ol' dh bike and was wondering about handle bar upgrades. I have carbon on my XC bike but didn't know if that was a waste of money on a DH bike. Any guidance is welcome.

Thanks in advance

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As long as it's marketed as a dh bar and it comes from a reputable company, I think it's a great purchase. They won't last any longer than aluminum, but they are light, and they do have a damping effect that aluminum doesn't have. It was noticeable how much better my wrists felt after all-day pound fests. I'd highly recommend Enve bars, as well as Easton and Race Face. Yes, the Enves are expensive, but 100% worth the cost in my opinion. Fantastic bars, and super strong. Their wheels are another debate that I won't get into.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'll reply from the other end. I'm not a racer, but when the right one comes around, I'll do it.

Going down a steep, dry, powdery chute, I slid off course when I saw a downed guy ahead of me. I stayed upright, but the bike hit a tree stopping me in a trackstand. The brake lever was up against the tree. I jumped off my pedals and walked down to the guy. Both of us were alright. I was probably doing only 3-5mph when I hit the tree. I'm lucky that tree was there though! Anyway, the guy was OK and rode down. The marshall then opened it up. I adjusted my lever since I leave them loose for this reason(no wrench necessary). I saw an opening and jumped in. I checked the brakes at the bottom and did a check up on the bike. Everything was fine. I did 2 practice runs to finish off my day, 2 practice runs the next morning and my race run to finish off my weekend.

Once home I wanted to clean the bike up and move my levers in more. WOW! There was a gouge in the bar that was thru the powder coating and into the aluminum about the thickness of 2 business cards. It was a FUNN Fatboy. I thank God it didn't break. I made it a point to build up my bikes with FUNN components though. If it were carbon?.... Ttyl, Fahn

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Never thought I'd ride carbon bars on the DH/Park bike, but then I got old and worn out so I made the switch last year.
Typically ride 4+ days of lift access DH a week during the summer-June-Sept.
So far so good.
Noticeable increase in comfort.
Have Renthal Carbon DH bars on one bike and the new Enve HDH on another.
Both are excellent bars.
ENVE HDH is wide at 810 and offers a lot of rise(my preference for steep and fast descending).
Renthal offers a bunch of rise options at 780 wide.
Running Renthal DUO stems on both.
Thinking that the ENVE HDH on the 40mm Duo stem is the stiffest + most precise + most comfortable set up I've used on a single crown park bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts