Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Those photos don't really show the tweak, but it looked beyond the tape it and go fix to me. That said, I held it together pretty well - no crying or puking. And the guy with the broken finger didn't fuss either..

Especially liked the new Apex shuttle - ride to the top and then drive down.

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts
he went that way

Yes, the rare and elusive uphill OTB struck this morning. Chugging out of the saddle and pulled up to go over a water bar a touch early. Slapped right into the front of the bar and the world stopped. I on the other hand continued to accelerate toward the earth at a nice 9.8 M/S and tried to decelerate with only one finger. Just missed pulling it off by that much.

Dislocated finger and broken 3rd metatarsal.
IMG_20121003_054717.jpg

unnamed.0002.jpg

unnamed.0003.jpg

IMG_20121003_072325.jpg

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
cool films!

Dislocated finger and broken 3rd metatarsal...
Posting X-Rays with dramatic mangle apparent. You just earned a point of positive rep!

But, uh, you're hand is fscked up. Sorry about that...

Seems like something I'd do this year.

Just paid my hospital bill yesterday for the last thing I did. But my x-rays showed nothing.

Your x-rays are cool. Mine are lame. But they probably cost a similar amount.

So you got that going for you. Which is nice.

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts
Your x-rays are cool. Mine are lame. But they probably cost a similar amount.

So you got that going for you. Which is nice.
This is the first time ive ever requested xray copies. all the other times you had to really look hard to see the $$$ break. These needed copies so i could post them.

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts
Megga pos rep to FIFO crew

Big thanks for all the help today. GoldenBoy for hanging with me waiting for the reverse shuttle, Bad Andy for the reverse shuttle, Dan-o for the ride to the doc, and scar for the ride back to my car. you guys really helped a brutha out.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
most films are lame, yours is bada$$

This is the first time ive ever requested xray copies. all the other times you had to really look hard to see the $$$ break. These needed copies so i could post them.
I've had so damn many films taken over the years (confounded mountain biking addiction! And clumsiness!) and only one I can remember was like yours. The rest of them, the doc or xray tech had to say something like, "there, see that little shadow..."

But one was different. Back in 2000 I was riding Porcupine Rim with two bro-in-laws. So as you can imagine, we were having a little sausage contest. I was leading fast on some of the last of the doubletrack part, bro-in-law Dan was right on my wheel. And then, as if by magic, my line was gone. Front wheel dropped into the void and I was OTB. I did my best superman impression and punched a rock on impact. I had what's known as a boxer's fracture. Fifth metacarpal. (You have a nice fracture of your third metacarpal--you called it the metatarsal but that's actually the similar bone in your foot).

My film was totally killer, taken at the Moab Hospital. Bone looked like a pencil snapped in the middle. I never thought to get a copy of it for the interwebz.

Here's the funny part of the story. The doc came in and showed me the film. He was a fairly young dude. He said, "we're going to get you something for pain, but first I'm going to need to set the bone. We can't give you pain meds until that's been done." He grabbed my hand and shoved the broken spot. I screamed like a little girl. Cuz it really hurt.

Then they gave me some vico and I was on my way.

Later I was meeting with the hand surgeon, and the bone was still totally displaced. I told him about how the Moab doc had set it, and I mentioned that it had hurt and I wasn't able to have any pain meds until it was done. He looked at me and said, "what? why?"

That Moab doc just wanted to inflict some unfiltered pain. And it did no good whatsoever.

Sadist.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts