Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hand pump I've got sucks. I've been using CO2, and still will under certain circumstances, but I've personally discovered that it does in fact cause issues with your sealant. So, I'm looking for a decent pump.

I like this because of the hose so you don't have to awkwardly hold the damn thing against the tire while your inflate.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PU407B08-Topeak+Morph+Pump.aspx

Along the same lines this brand came up with little googling...
http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps/mini-pumps-high-pressure/presssure-drive
http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps/mini-pumps-high-pressure/swivel-drive-hp

Never heard of them but they sure look purdy...

What'cha all using?

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
The Lezyne Pressure drive is my third hand pump for the pack....it's the best one I've had by far because it has a hose just as you described and it has decent volume for pumping your tire up....small too.

Cheep pumps suck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I picked myself up a Lenzyne Micro Floor Drive pump for Christmas...LOVE it! It's a little big, but it's light. It has a hose and a fold out foot thingy you can stand on while you pump. Only problem I have with it is none of my buddies carry their pumps anymore if they ride with me. I'm constantly taking my pack off to get the pump out for them. If you do get one make sure you get the mtn bike specific one...HV not HP.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the first one in your list. Only problem is no one will use there own pump if you have one, which makes for a lot of wear and tear on it. It is by far the best I have used. Oh and we have lots of pumps.

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
Mike, there looks to be a good deal on a pump on Chainlove right now. Not sure if it will work for ya.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Got You All in Check

big0mike said:
T
I like this because of the hose so you don't have to awkwardly hold the damn thing against the tire while your inflate.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PU407B08-Topeak+Morph+Pump.aspx
snip....
What'cha all using?
Agree on the Topeak Mountain Morph. I've had one for about 4+ years and pretty much everybody I ride with that carries a pump has migrated to either it or the Lezyne. Bandolero Approved. Grunion is right in that other people will use it so it get's a lot of wear and tear but it's worth it so you don't have to wait as long. I need to get another to replace it soon.

You too will have one, see other people struggling, whip it out and say "put that toy away"

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I have the Topeak Turbo Morph on both my bikes and have never had an issue, wheter pumping MTB or road tyres. Both are about 5 years old now and still going strong, haven't tried anything else, no reason to.

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
I will chime in here and say the Topeak pumps are nice but they can on occasion bend the presta valve threaded stem, not as bad as every blackburn pump I have ever owned but they can do it.

The lezyne looks great but I have had one on order from performance since before christmas and have not seen it yet. Seems to be difficult to get.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
notaknob said:
Agree on the Topeak Mountain Morph. I've had one for about 4+ years and pretty much everybody I ride with that carries a pump has migrated to either it or the Lezyne. Bandolero Approved. Grunion is right in that other people will use it so it get's a lot of wear and tear but it's worth it so you don't have to wait as long. I need to get another to replace it soon.

You too will have one, see other people struggling, whip it out and say "put that toy away"
Agree. I have a Topeak Mountain Morph and it's all that and more. It's slightly larger than a "mini-pump", but when you unfold it, it is actually like a mini-floor pump. Pumps LOTS of air, and simply lasts a very long time. Usually everyone else wants to borrow it though when someone gets a flat, so you might not want to let people know you have it.

·
No Clue Crew
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
induction said:
I picked myself up a Lenzyne Micro Floor Drive pump for Christmas...LOVE it! It's a little big, but it's light. It has a hose and a fold out foot thingy you can stand on while you pump... If you do get one make sure you get the mtn bike specific one...HV not HP.
What makes it MTB specific?

Fletch 1 said:
Mike, there looks to be a good deal on a pump on Chainlove right now. Not sure if it will work for ya.
That one has been on there for a few days now. Almost pulled the trigger earlier this week but it's still the same connection to the tire. Ditto with Barry's pump.

I think I'm leaning towards the Micro Floor Pump now...

For those of you with Lezyne pumps, how does the reversible head work? They both thread onto the valve. Do you thread it onto the valve then plug it into the pump? Or does the head/hose swivel well so that the hose doesn't get all bound up? I have the Stan's injector and in order to get that threaded onto the presta valve you have to rotate the entire syringe as many times as it takes to get it on. A slight pain in the butt that I think would be worse with a big pump. That makes the Topeak look more attractive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
big0mike said:
What makes it MTB specific?

There is one for high volume (HV) and high pressure (HP). Not sure if it really makes a difference. A few websites I went to while researching the pump recommended it. High volume for mtn biking.

For those of you with Lezyne pumps, how does the reversible head work? They both thread onto the valve. Do you thread it onto the valve then plug it into the pump? Or does the head/hose swivel well so that the hose doesn't get all bound up? I have the Stan's injector and in order to get that threaded onto the presta valve you have to rotate the entire syringe as many times as it takes to get it on. A slight pain in the butt that I think would be worse with a big pump. That makes the Topeak look more attractive.
The reversible head just unscrews from the hose and you screw it back in the opposite direction. The valve swivels as well as at the base of the pump. If superman were a mini pump he'd be this one!

·
Registered
155 Posts
How many flats do you get that you NEED a hose AND foot stand? Just more big ***** on your back slowing you down by adding weight. I use a tiny Specialized pump that fits in my jersey pocket and it sucks balls, however, I get one side wall tear flat a year. Also, it can be carried without a camelbak or backpack. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I picked up the Serfas Grifter, which is similar to the first one you posted, except it has a pressure guage on it.

http://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=503

A tad heavy, but I have the worst luck with CO2 and love the floor stand option on this one. Plus I have re-flatted before from not putting enough air back in the fixed tube and find the guage makes it easier to get back up to right PSI. Dont have the hand feel down yet!

·
Registered
998 Posts
AZspeeding said:
How many flats do you get that you NEED a hose AND foot stand? Just more big ***** on your back slowing you down by adding weight. I use a tiny Specialized pump that fits in my jersey pocket and it sucks balls, however, I get one side wall tear flat a year. Also, it can be carried without a camelbak or backpack. Just my $.02.
I don't ever use mine. There now I've jinks myself. Once you have a good pump every one else wants to use it because their little hand pump blows.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.