Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started SS. Did a conversion on my giant Cadex. I love it to death, however I notice that riding SS tends to take it's toll on my hands. Maybe I'm a light weight? Does any one have any suggestions for hand protection. I already run suspension up front and have extra padding in my gloves. Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Badsmells

·
Registered
379 Posts
My extra hand protection comes from my Hairy palms.
Sounds like theres not much else to add, squishy and gloves should cover it. You could always pick-axe a trenched not using gloves, then once the blisters go away you should have some gnarly callouses.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Define "toll"

badsmells said:
I just started SS. Did a conversion on my giant Cadex. I love it to death, however I notice that riding SS tends to take it's toll on my hands. Maybe I'm a light weight? Does any one have any suggestions for hand protection. I already run suspension up front and have extra padding in my gloves. Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Badsmells
Bisters and chafing or cramping, hurting?

Cramping/hurting may be because you have too much padding. Also, when you first start riding SS, your hands and forearms will be quite sore. It goes away after a while.

As a side benefit to increased forearms strength.... er ... nevermind.

Ken

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
badsmells said:

Badsmells
How about your body position? I gravitated toward a shorter cockpit and a more upright position in the course of figuring out what worked for me on a SS. When someone says their hands hurt, my first thought is "too far forward."

Whether it's pulling hard or leaning forward, my hands do a lot more work on the SS than they do on a bike where the mechanical advantage I'm looking for is in the cassette rather than in my back. It could just be a matter of time before your hands figure out they're not just along for the ride anymore and adjust to the new workload.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What kind of handlebars are you running?

I just began single speeding last fall on a bike with a scott AT2 bar (straight with built in bar ends). I noticed a huge difference in the strain on my hands when I was on the flat portion versus when I was on the ends of the bar. My new SS has a mary bar (40 degree sweep), but I do not have any miles on it yet to report on how my hands feel.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I have good callouses on my hands from pulling up on the bars. I think they are just par for the course. I have my manicurist pumice them when I go in and that helps with the roughness.

Ya, so I'm a girl, whatever.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
i don't wear gloves, and my main ride is fully rigid with thin wimpy little bontrager grips, but my other ride has a plush little rockshox unit hanging off the front, and big meaty Intense DH grips, and i seem to have more wrist pains with the squishy bike... not that this is logical in any way or will give you answers to your problem, but interesting nonetheless. BTW i have big rough calluses from riding without gloves, and i think i'm probably more careful about weighting and smoothness on the rigid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.