Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pain isn't numbness or cramping. It is more of a blister feeling where the "balls" of my hands rest on my grips. I hope that makes sense.. At the bottom of some rocky, rough descents, I have to stop and shake my hands out as if I were riding full rigid.

I use ODI Rogue lockons, I wear full-fingered gloves (no padding), I ride an alloy flat bar.

I think it is simple enough to say that my grips just hurt my hands. I have been riding them for 7 months or so and that has been the case. Ive thought about switching to a carbon bar to reduce trail chatter and that might help.

Would switching to a grip that spreads out the area of contact help too? I'm thinking Ergon but I dont seem to have the symptoms reported by most Ergon users.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,147 Posts
Make sure that your brake levers are lined up so that your wrist is pretty straight when on levers and not bent putting weight on lower palms. Grip the grips instead of leaning on them. Could try a riser bar, or stem with more rise, or add spacers under stem to get some weight off arms and onto legs/saddle. Rogues are some of the best grips out there and I've tried ergons and didn't like em but it seems many do. Sit ups and hyperextensions will help with middle body strength so that your hands/arms aen't doing all the work of holding your upper body. Maybe the dual density rogues, which help absorb impacts and vibration, are to thick for your hands? Tire pressure too high? Saddle too far forward or tilted too far down?

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
I would focus more on the bike geometry/setup than just the grips themselves.

Getting your handlebar higher and/or closer to you will relieve some pressure on your hands. This may or may not be a viable option for you.

I'm not sure how to process the bit of info regarding a blister type feeling. One possibility is you may be gripping the bar harder than you need to. Pay attention to whether you tense up in the conditions that causes the pain, and if so, work on relaxing your hands more. I think many people end up gripping too tightly because it's tough to train your brain to allow your hands to not over-tighten when things get rough and fast.

Good luck,
Pete

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
Definitely sounds like more of an issue w/ the tightness of your grip, your weight distribution, and maybe the setup of you levers/bars/stem/rest of your bike geometry to me. All the Ergons I've tried are pretty darn hard overall and probably wouldn't do anything to help your symptoms.

As the others suggested, make sure your brake and shift levers are adjusted so that you form a straight line from your braking finger(s) up you wrist and forearms in your "average" postion when descending, watch the death grip, and try to support more of your upper body weight w/ your core and quads rather than your arms/hands.

I would definitely take a look at how you're bike fits you from a reach perspective as well. First step I would take is making sure that your saddle position is good from a height and knee over pedal spindle perspective at the saddle position you spend the most time pedaling in. Then if you feel stretched out and/or leaned overly forward on the bars, start looking at your reach from a stem/bar rise and length perspective.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am aware that a riser bar might help. I just really like the position of my flat bar though, especially on this particular bike (29er XC hardtail).

Maybe a super lo-rise bar? The Niner flat bar can be flipped for 5mm rise (like I need an excuse to spend that money). I'll look into other lo-rise bars.

I have been on my road bike all winter, so it feels like I am sitting straight up on my mountain bike. I'll adjust the saddle and see if that helps.

I am aware that I death grip the bar. I try to be conscious of it.

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
If you're feeling tilted forward/downhill too much and still want to hang onto the flat bar, you could always look into a stem w/ more rise instead. Just make sure to get it a little longer as well if you want to maintain the same horizontal reach at the same time.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
jeffscott said:
Get some padded gloves
These can be a double-edged sword. For some people/problems, they are the very best solution. For others, like myself, padded gloves cause problems.

I would get terrible hand cramps with any kind of padded glove. As soon as I switched to unpadded, no more hand troubles.

Once again though, everyone is different. Experimentation is king.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Are essential for comfort and power. Yet I don't think that is the problem.

Blistering is a function of abrasion. Think of hiking boots with layers of shifting socks combined with moisture, heat, and long duration of use causing blisters.

Maybe your gloves have gotten sloppy on you or were not tight enough to begin with. Maybe you are wringing your hands on the grips more than you think.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tried padded gloves (Bontrager ones that I had) and it's a no-go. I just didnt like the feel. I rode twice with them.

I do grip my bars tightly. Would Ergons kind of prevent me from doing that due to their shape?

Also, I have been looking for really low-rise bars. Most are 20mm rise, a few 15mm rise. Are there any that are 10mm or so rise?
Edit: Found Answer ProTAPER® Carbon 720 AM with 1/2" rise.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
What tires are you running, and what is your setup, including pressure?

Tubeless setups tend to smooth things out since they allow lower pressure and don't suffer the friction between the tube and tire. The lower pressure you can run, the lower the chances of symptoms like yours.

I used to get all kinds of numbness when I ran my tires too hard.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pedalphile said:
What tires are you running, and what is your setup, including pressure?.
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (35psi) // Schwalbe Albert 2.1 (37psi). Both tubed. Both 29".

It's funny you mention the tubeless thing because I have Bonty TLR rims. If I can find sealant at a LBS, I'll be tubeless again this week.

12* sweep, alloy flat bar. ODI Rogue lock-ons. Giro Remedy gloves.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Those pressures seem high for those size tires unless you're a clyde. Have you tried running lower pressures even with the tubes? The sweet spot is usually as low as you can go w/o pinch flatting, although some tire/rim combos could have a knack for coming off the rim before pinching.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What kind of fork do you have? Maybe you could switch that out for better small bump absorption. You probably want an air fork for adjustability, and if it has an adjustable negative spring or negative air chamber that would be ideal to tune small bump performance.

Try Ergons or similar first, though. They are a lot cheaper than a new fork.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
m85476585 said:
What kind of fork do you have? Maybe you could switch that out for better small bump absorption. You probably want an air fork for adjustability, and if it has an adjustable negative spring or negative air chamber that would be ideal to tune small bump performance.

Try Ergons or similar first, though. They are a lot cheaper than a new fork.
Fox F29 air. I run it at about 90psi.

I'm going tubeless [again] today and I got a higher-rise stem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jnthomps08 said:
Fox F29 air. I run it at about 90psi.
Should be fine, but maybe try a slightly lower pressure unless you are bottoming out or bobbing too much while pedaling.

I don't think Ergons will prevent you from gripping the bars tightly. Maybe a bit by opening up your hand. I think they would help since they will distribute your weight over a larger area, putting less pressure on one spot on your hands. I never really had any "symptoms" but I use them because I find them more comfortable (though I actually have an imitation that was sold at the LBS).

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Jnthomps08 said:
Tried padded gloves (Bontrager ones that I had) and it's a no-go. I just didnt like the feel. I rode twice with them.

I do grip my bars tightly. Would Ergons kind of prevent me from doing that due to their shape?

Also, I have been looking for really low-rise bars. Most are 20mm rise, a few 15mm rise. Are there any that are 10mm or so rise?
Edit: Found Answer ProTAPER® Carbon 720 AM with 1/2" rise.
Bingo.....

Relax your hands learn how to ride with a relaxed and quiet upper body...

The only time you clench the bars is on a very steep hill....when you are pulling....

Not a fit, or bike problem at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.