Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any cures for hand numbness while being on long rides especially on the road? When I am done after a 50 mile road ride, my two idex fingers go numb for a couple of hours. I figure good gloves will help alleviate the pressure on the ulnar nerve. Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
check the angle of brake levers

cmaz44 said:
Does anyone have any cures for hand numbness while being on long rides especially on the road? When I am done after a 50 mile road ride, my two idex fingers go numb for a couple of hours. I figure good gloves will help alleviate the pressure on the ulnar nerve. Any reccomendations?
You need to check 2 things. First, check the angle of your brake levers, they should be postion at natural angle 45degree as your arm. Second, does your gloves have enough cushion?

If your brake levers are not at 45 degree, your had grip put more pressure on ulnar nerve causing numbness. It happened to me until I changed the angle of brake levers. Then the numbness receeded.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I found that not using any gloves at all worked best for me. The padding in the gloves tended to bunch up in my palm and create pressure points. I've been riding glove-free for a while now and have had no more issues with tingling fingers or numbness.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could see how my brake levers could be adjusted a tad to get a 45 degree angle. I am going to try that recommendation. As for no gloves, I do not think that is possible since I put in way too much time in the saddle and the rub in my hands would get to the point of flesh. On Saturday I raced in a criterium and then stuck around for the Pro race and noticed some riders like to keep ther hands off the handlebars when possible. It seemed like a good aerodynamic position while alleviating pressure off the hands. Maybe the rider was just tired. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Try these: http://www.louisgarneau.com/usa/catalog_prod.asp?catalogue=SU5&section=GL&subsection=044&style_no=1481038

A bit expensive, but the difference is like night and day. The padding is ~6mm thick and separates at the Ulnar nerve to allow bloodflow. I've been training over 20 hours per week since I got them and haven't had any numbness at all. Which is nearly a miracle for me...

I picked up my pair in Bermuda for half price by accident. They were all marked $39.99 and I just happend to find the pair that was mistakenly marked with a $19.99 price tag. I snatched them up quick ;) I felt kinda bad, though... Ohwell!

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
- Jeremy - said:
Try these: http://www.louisgarneau.com/usa/catalog_prod.asp?catalogue=SU5&section=GL&subsection=044&style_no=1481038

A bit expensive, but the difference is like night and day. The padding is ~6mm thick and separates at the Ulnar nerve to allow bloodflow. I've been training over 20 hours per week since I got them and haven't had any numbness at all. Which is nearly a miracle for me...

I picked up my pair in Bermuda for half price by accident. They were all marked $39.99 and I just happend to find the pair that was mistakenly marked with a $19.99 price tag. I snatched them up quick ;) I felt kinda bad, though... Ohwell!

- Jeremy -
Jeremy,

Thanks for the link, I am going to try them out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
specialized gloves

specialized makes a good glove too. they market a body geometry concept that really works for their products. it is similiar to the other glove posted earlier. basically, the gloves have a raised area on the ulnar (pinky finger) side of the hand - which they claim reduces pressure and reduces numbness. see: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=10691

my wife and i both have had good success with these gloves
thanks, and ride ride ride......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.