Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there has a hand dyno for testing rear dampers, if so would you be kind enough to pm me as I'm keen to get some pics.

If I can't find one for sale I am going to build on in the near future but not 100% on my design yet.

Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

I see Manitou have one listed in their tools but I don't think its available.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
146 Posts
Without some way to measure or capture data on the OSO Shock Dyno you may aswell just be pressing down on your seat....

Even a simple specific weight and timer would make it more useful as with force (weight) / time / distance (shock stroke) you can calculate the force generated.

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
Calling those dyno's is misleading. They're a manual shock tester and a very useful tool.

Here's mine: http://instagr.am/p/CF0wpiYHEmR/ The mounting plate design has changed since then. It takes a while to find all the combinations of valves and adjusters you need to clear.
I wanted more leverage than most and I've used all of it to defuse stuck-down shocks.

Vorsprung, Andreani etc have their own versions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I designed and built a shock test stand for a local suspension rebuilder. They are very handy for "feeling" how a shock is working, and how well the rebuild went. Very useful for tuning.

It's not difficult, just make sure you have some attachment methods for the shocks you want to test (8mm, 10mm, 1/2", trunnion, etc.). And design in a bunch of adjustability. You never know what the next industry standard will be...

I built two of them for ~$200. All the hardware came from McMaster Carr.

I overbuilt it, and I'm already thinking about V2. Simpler, sleeker, and probably mount on a wall to conserve workspace. I've also thought about putting a linear potentiometer or accelerometer on it to be able to do comparative testing/tuning.
I would love to be able to eventually sell these for $100.

Light Drilling Gas Automotive tire Engineering

Sewing machine feet Sewing machine Home appliance Household appliance accessory Creative arts

Water Engineering Composite material Metal Pipe

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,328 Posts
Calling those dyno's is misleading. They're a manual shock tester and a very useful tool.

Here's mine: http://instagr.am/p/CF0wpiYHEmR/ The mounting plate design has changed since then. It takes a while to find all the combinations of valves and adjusters you need to clear.
I wanted more leverage than most and I've used all of it to defuse stuck-down shocks.

Vorsprung, Andreani etc have their own versions.
It's because people have shortened the word and are forgetting the rest: METER

·
Giant Reign Advanced 1
Giant Reign Advanced 0 2016
941 Posts
already thinking about V2. Simpler, sleeker, and probably mount on a wall to conserve workspace. I've also thought about putting a linear potentiometer or accelerometer on it to be able to do comparative testing/tuning.
I would love to be able to eventually sell these for $100.
Will you post photos of V2 here ?..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts