Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a XT or Hope hand built set of wheels, and trying to determine who is a better or more reliable wheel builder. Any experiences good or bad between Universal Cycles and Jenson USA? Your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Kegbert1

·
Registered
239 Posts
kegbert1 said:
Looking for a XT or Hope hand built set of wheels, and trying to determine who is a better or more reliable wheel builder. Any experiences good or bad between Universal Cycles and Jenson USA? Your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Kegbert1
Picked up the Chris King ISO disk hubs laced to the Mavic XC717's {F&R} for $539.00 from Jensens about a month ago.. I am very pleased. This wheelset was definitely not thrown together. You get documentation as to the tension used throughout the wheel with the wheelbuilder signing upon completion. It has been the best upgrade to my ride. I do believe the prices have gone up since I bought them reflecting the CK price increases.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
COMMITTED said:
Picked up the Chris King ISO disk hubs laced to the Mavic XC717's {F&R} for $539.00 from Jensens about a month ago.. I am very pleased. This wheelset was definitely not thrown together. You get documentation as to the tension used throughout the wheel with the wheelbuilder signing upon completion. It has been the best upgrade to my ride. I do believe the prices have gone up since I bought them reflecting the CK price increases.
Thanks Committed,

I too have a set of CK ISO laced to DT Swiss 4.1D's as well as a set of CK classics laced to Bontrager Valiants that are still going strong. Just looking for a set of wheels for my loaner/wife/nephew bike. I am happy to hear that Jenson is doing a good job.

Happy Singletracking

Kegbert1

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I just had a Hope Bulb/Mavic 717 Disc/Wheelsmith DB spokes/alloy nipples built at JensonUSA. Cost me $456 w/ shipping and Salsa skewers. Prices are great there for components, and like Committed stated above, the work done is quality work. Ordering the wheels was cake, the salesperson made sure all my parts were in stock as I was on the phone--as in actually put my peices aside--and made the whole purchase pretty low key. I had to wait 6 days before they were built--but that's understandable this time of year; everybody is upgrading before the new season. Shipping was extremely fast (JensonUSA in Cali, I'm in VA) at only 6 days (w/ weekend thrown in there) and the wheels actually arrived a day early! Superb service, I would definitely recommend them!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'dlike to throw in a recommendation for Mike Garcia at Odds & Endos.

We just received a beautifully made set of wheels from him- DT Swiss 240s centerlock hubs, Stans Olympic rims, Dt Swiss Supercomp spokes and red alloy nips for $530 shipped. These will go on Becky's 2004 Stumpy FSR. Packaging was meticulous and included several extra spokes and nips and a pair of Stans rim strips.

Mike is extremely knowledgeable and great to talk to on the phone. He will carefully consider your needs and dial you in to the exact build that is best for you.

I have no reason to think Jenson and others don't build good wheels, but I doubt they are able to provide the level of personal service that Mike does.

Odds and Endos Wheels

·
Registered
239 Posts
riverrat said:

We just received a beautifully made set of wheels from him- DT Swiss 240s centerlock hubs, Stans Olympic rims, Dt Swiss Supercomp spokes and red alloy nips for $530 shipped. These will go on Becky's 2004 Stumpy FSR. Packaging was meticulous and included several extra spokes and nips and a pair of Stans rim strips.

Mike is extremely knowledgeable and great to talk to on the phone. He will carefully consider your needs and dial you in to the exact build that is best for you.

I have no reason to think Jenson and others don't build good wheels, but I doubt they are able to provide the level of personal service that Mike does.

Odds and Endos Wheels
Everybody is ready to bash the vendors, but I just want to put out there that with Iron Horse, Manitou and Hayes, they HAVE BEEN THERE WHEN I NEEDED A ISSUE TO BE RESOLVED. No questions asked, not do I have a reciept or purchase #, just where can we send you the part I need. That's customer service. TJMO

·
Registered
127 Posts
My one set of handbuilt wheels (XT/Valiant) from Universal were disappointing to say the least. Week after week delay despite emails and calls. The wheels finally arrived with very poor, uneven tension. Not any better than machine built. It was the last straw pushing me to building my own (which is easy enough, fun, and satisfying).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Riverrat,

I was going to go with Mike Garcia but it seems that his popularity has resulted in pretty substantial price increases. Mike is now getting over $300+ for an XT wheelset. I sure that he is great at what he does, however demand is outstripping price. As I mentioned I am looking for an inexpensive disc wheelset, have too many bike projects to go with the bling bling set.

Best,

Kegbert1

riverrat said:

Odds and Endos Wheels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.