Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all got a quick question, im almost done with my niner wfo build and i was gonna use my old chain, but i got bad case of upgraditis, and now i want to put on a new chain. what do you recommend? nothing too light, im 240lbs and broke a chain in the past..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't make brand recommendations, because even though each brand has it's fans and detractors, I don't think there's much quality difference between comparably priced chains of the various makers.

Given your weight, I'd avoid some of the top-o-the-line chains, since the emphasis on weight savings is of little use to you, and might even be counter productive. Buy any mid range chain for the best overall dollar value, strength and performance.

If you like washing your chains, look for one with a re-usable connector like KMC, or Sram to make it more practical do remove the chain whenever you want to.

Also, for 1x9 setups, I like chains with more bellmouth or inside chamfer on the inner plates. This acts like a funnel improving chainring engagement when feeding from the inner and outermost cassette sprockets. Again, I can't tell you which brands have the most because they keep changing the shape of their plates, so it's something you have to look for yourself.

·
Underskilled
4,495 Posts
As my name implies I also have a ton of experience with snapping chains.

The strongest chain is the KMC x9.
The gold version is almost rust proof so a worthy upgrade.

just search mtbr for reason why this chain is great

1 - 4 of 4 Posts