Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well two speed. Anyone who has set one of those things up or seen them know if you could set up a hardtail SS run that thing and have a 2 speed? does that thing keep the chain the same length?

would be sweet on a park/dj bike or a trail bike too, and still look like a SS. what are the "chain ring" sizes on that thing?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
yes..the chain length does not change, since there only one ring in the HS.....your 2-speed idea should work fine.... remember that the frame needs ISCG tabs.....

the chainrings are 22 and 24T IIRC....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool good to know about the iscg. im guessing you mean 22 and 34T

I still dont really see the need for a granny ring on my freeride bike. I climb with my bike a lot and run a 36t ring and an 11-24 cassette, and I feel that if I get any slower than that its not worth pedaling. Nothing sucks more than grinding it out in a granny on a 40lb bike with 7 inches of travel going 1/2 a mile an hour.

but yeah Ive heard that the thing works great shifts whenever pretty flawlessly so I want to make a 2 speed

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
hbracca said:
It will have to be the newer ISCG '05 standard also not the '01 or '03 that I think is more common. Make sure you check into that or you could be real bummed out when you go to install.
the HS is compatible with both ISCG (03, old) and ISCG 05, but a compatibility check is necessary to check the alignment of the tabs.

from the HS manual:

"frame compatibility check
HammerSchmidt is engineered to mount to frames with ISCG 03 or ISCG 05 chain guide mounting tabs and 68, 73,
or 83 mm bottom bracket shell widths. However, not all frames are made to the precision standards HammerSchmidt
requires. Therefore, before installing you will need to perform a simple frame compatibility check to determine if you can
use HammerSchmidt on your frame. It is critical to perform this check, otherwise you will experience complications
with installation and/or function.
To check compatibility, use the enclosed HammerSchmidt frame compatibility checker tool. First, remove your old crank arms
and bottom bracket from your frame (if applicable). Next, thread the cup checker into the drive-side bottom bracket shell.
Finally, slide the pin checker over the cup checker and insert the pins into the ISCG tabs. The pin checker is double sided; one
side has ISCG 03 pins, the other ISCG 05 pins. Be sure to insert the appropriate pins into the ISCG holes. For compatibility,
the pins must go into the ISCG holes, the cup checker must be centered in the pin checker and the arrow on the pin checker
should point toward the rear wheel axle. If the tool is difficult to insert, won't fit at all, or the arrow doesn't point toward the rear
wheel axle, you cannot use HammerSchmidt on your frame.
If you need additional help to determine the compatibility of HammerSchmidt you can visit www.magicmechanics.com or head
over to your local Truvativ dealer for assistance."

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
spxoo said:
cool good to know about the iscg. im guessing you mean 22 and 34T

I still dont really see the need for a granny ring on my freeride bike. I climb with my bike a lot and run a 36t ring and an 11-24 cassette, and I feel that if I get any slower than that its not worth pedaling. Nothing sucks more than grinding it out in a granny on a 40lb bike with 7 inches of travel going 1/2 a mile an hour.

but yeah Ive heard that the thing works great shifts whenever pretty flawlessly so I want to make a 2 speed
i know alot of guys that crank out long rides (me included) on their 40 pound bikes (talking 4000 foot climbs), we use the 22 granny all the freaking time, almost every ride. to me, its so limiting not having it, but that is just me. trying doing a 4000 foot fireroad climb in your big ring, skip!

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.