Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to use the Hammerschmidt on my first gen Nomad for a while. Problem is.... no ISCG mounts on the frame, and adapters "don't work". After exchanging a few messages from Delimeat over at RM, it seemed as if he got his to work after pinning it from spinning. The ISCG mounts are required to support the engaging pawls of the drive mechanism to the frame, and that the reason that adapters don't work is because they'll spin under the overdrive mode.

So I decided to hack out my own ISCG adapter that would encapsulate the rear bearing so that there's no way the adapter could spin:

Circle Material property Number Gas Paper

Product Wood Technology Hardwood Tan

Wood Product Hardwood Wood stain Circle

Test fit of my adapter using the Hammer's alignment guide to ensure I clocked it right:

Automotive wheel system Iron Metal Steel Circle

I build the adapter with a 2.5mm sandwich section figuring that I'd use my adapter instead of one of the 2.5mm spacers that came with the bottom bracket. Problem is, the Nomad has a 73mm BB shell and the Hammer's BB doesn't require any spacers in 73mm installations. What to do?

Well I pondered getting the 83mm version and using spacers on the non-drive side, but figured that it'd throw my Q-factor off, so I decided to face off 2.5mm from the drive side and made my BB shell 70.5. This way if I ever wanted to go back to stock, I can just slip in an extra 2.5mm spacer:

Finger Nail Boot Cable Machine

Here's the adapter installed with BB in place. You can see how my adapter sandwiches the rear bearing and can't rotate at all:

Metal Steel Composite material Machine Aluminium

Better shot of rear bearing encapsulation:

View attachment 475083

Finished!

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim Rim Spoke

So far the parking lot tests under overdrive mode and cranking it very hard has worked flawlessly. Also I use x.0 twist shifters, so i decided to hook up the Hammer to my existing front shifter and it works perfectly (just has to pull cable right?). I'm just gonna have to get used to shifting backwards, as pulling cable means low gear - normally it's the other way around.

So far riding around the street, this thing shifts so fast and nice that I can't believe I haven't tried this earlier! Will do some extensive testing this weekend to Hammer the $hit out of this Hammerschmidt and report back.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Sweet. Nice of SC to leave that big'ol bearing boss back there to leverage off of ;)

How's the pedaling? I always disliked how the suspension reacted to pedal input on my BLT when in the granny.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
Nice job dude. Hope you got some extra alloy there. You might have a few orders for these.

·
Registered
95 Posts
is any one trying to come up with an adapter solution to allow the hammershmidt to be mounted to any bike?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
AL29er said:
How's the pedaling? I always disliked how the suspension reacted to pedal input on my BLT when in the granny.
Pedaling in granny is no different on the Hammer than with a standard crankset. In granny mode, the unit is locked together so it works like a standard crankset.

CARP said:
Where there's a will... there's a way... Awesome!!! Keep us posted!
Well did some riding over the weekend, and this thing is NICE! The custom ISCG adapter worked perfectly. It was VERY nice to have my chain stay put on all of the rock garden sections. Some interesting things I noticed while riding....

1) In overdrive mode, you can hear the planetary gear system working (kind of sounds like a quiet freehub) and there's a slight additional resistance from it as well. Doesn't really bother me, since it's a 36T equivalent and whenever I'm in that gear upfront, I'm usually going downhill, so I didn't notice the extra resistance. For those that like to climb in 36T middle ring up front, then this might be an issue - but personally, I need my 22T ring up front.

2) Also in overdrive mode, if you freewheel backwards (as I often do while turning to weight the outside foot), you can hear the 3 engagement pawls ratchet quite loudly. It took a minute to get used to it, but didn't really bother me. I'd best describe it as sounding like a ratching 1/2" drive wrench. Switching to 22T equivalent, there's no ratcheting or weird sounds.

3) I kept forgetting to rotate my twist shifter the appropriate direction. After years of using grip shifts it's gonna take a few more rides to remember that I need to pull cable for granny gear.

4) Total weight added to my bike was around 1.5 pounds. Would probably be lesser of a weight gain on heavier builds, but the parts that came off (my old cranks, etc) were pretty light. I'll lose more weight when I go to a short cage derailuer and remove some chain links.

My buddy and I switched bikes for a portion of the ride and he was instantly sold on the Hammerschmidt. Despite the negatives listed above, the gains in instant shifting and having a chain that stays put in even the worst of rock gardens is totally worth it!!!

Normally when I hit sudden rolling hills, I crank the rear shifter into low gear in order to make it up a hill, but found myself using the front shifter instead where I could..... and because I could. :D

Only problem I see with marketing such an adapter is that it's not a simple bolt on, since one would have to have access to a BB shell facer or find a shop willing to remove that much material for you. This idea would work much better if the Hammer's BB required a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side for 73mm shelled rides.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Pedaling in granny is no different on the Hammer than with a standard crankset. In granny mode, the 3 engagement pawls lock the unit together so it works like a standard crankset.

So what you're saying is that its constantly terrible? The Nomad is awful int he granny gear for feedback (oldone, new one is supposedly better).

I want to put he HS on my Giant Reign, but am afraid to do so for just this very reason.

Some damn good thinking and execution there though, well done!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dropmachine.com said:
Pedaling in granny is no different on the Hammer than with a standard crankset. In granny mode, the 3 engagement pawls lock the unit together so it works like a standard crankset.
Yeah I got that wrong, the 3 pawls are retracted in granny mode and the internal one-way system locks the unit together. But as indicated before the pedaling is the same in granny gear with the hammer versus a standard crankset.

dropmachine.com said:
So what you're saying is that its constantly terrible? The Nomad is awful int he granny gear for feedback (oldone, new one is supposedly better).
I'm very used to the VPP feedback on the Nomad 1, so if you don't like the way the Nomad 1 pedals with a standard crankset, then you're not going to like the granny with the Hammer either.

dropmachine.com said:
Some damn good thinking and execution there though, well done!
Thanks! :)

Oh yeah, on another note... in Part Deux, we did a before and after weigh-in on my buddy's Nomad, his bike gained 0.61 pounds. So weight gain can be very different on the Hammerschmidt depending on what the weight is of your existing parts before the conversion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just posting an update... with over half a year of riding this setup (700 miles or so) the setup has been working flawlessly. I pulled the crankset off to check the internals and everything looked perfect. I was worried that mud may have gotten into the 3-pawl assembly with some of the recent mud I've been riding in, but the backseal did a great job of keeping the crap out.

While I had the Hammerschmidt off, I decided to add a bit of color to the adapter :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bicycle accessory Nut Machine Steel Bicycle part
Personal protective equipment Helmet Steel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Motorcycle accessories

My buddies MRP adapter solution that I posted above has been working flawlessly as well.

Ride on!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dany_35 said:
Interesting solution you found. I'm looking for a soluiton for Scott Genius 40.
Any ideas???
Sorry I'm not familiar with that bike. Check out tadrscin's solution in my other post... maybe you can build some kind of arm like he did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excellent work guys n´ gals!

I´m about to try this operation on my -08 Quake. All the pivots are high up in the frame so i´m thinking in the terms of making some sort of splines och threads on the BB tube.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts