Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a older V10. He pedals the bike uphill. He wants to try a HammerSchmidt.

Will a HammerSchmidt fit on a V10?

What is the verdict on the HS? Are they good to go?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm gonna guess the V10 was designed around a 36-38T chainring so the suspension may be too active with a 22-24T HS.

One way to test it is throw some cranks with a 24T granny gear on it and pedal it up a hill to see how it works. I know the V10 doesn't work with a front Der, but you can shift manually when you go from climbing to DH for the few rides it takes to test.

Or he could spend the 800 and be a guinea pig...:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was thinking about this combo as well, but have not yet tried it. Seems like a great way to make DH frames such as the V10 and DHR into bikes you can to some degree, pedal up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have also considered doing this. I was discouraged by the bike shops thoughts about it though. So I think you should go for it and let us know how it works out - hey its only money!

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
1st and 2nd gen V10s didn't have ISCG tabs, so no go.
Even on a 3rd gen V10 I bet it pedals badly.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have pictures in a week. My buddy found a screaming deal on the HS.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddy loves the HS on his V10. It lasted Silver Star, Whistler, and the Shore.

·
theflu
6 Posts
Hey quick question. I was thinking of the HS on the 2010 V10, and was wondering how much monkeying around your buddy had to do to get it to fit on his V10?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$525 installed at the LBS. They said it was easy and went right on after they faced the ISCG tabs.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a litle pedal kick back, but the VPP design helps a lot. I have one on my 951 and love it. It sure helps being able to ride rather than push. He said its no worse than it was with a 36T ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts