Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buh, bye front derailleur, it was nice knowing ye.

It's been one week now since I've had my 'schmidt on the RFX TNT. (Dw link need not apply according to _dw.)

Big props to Steve/Aqua for helping me out on this one, it would have taken me a lot longer to install without him. I installed it on my 06 RFX with x9 rear der and Lyrik up front. After installation we found out the clearance is real close to the rear triangle (maybe 1mm on the lower side) and the tolerances are out of this world tight when installing on any ISCG mount. Aqua and I had to go through multiple trial and errors to keep the thing from binding on the BB when cinched up. Once we figured out how thick our washers had to be between the BB and hammer and also if we needed any spacers on a 73mm BB (you don't), installation was a snap.

Prior to installation I took the bike to Joe at BRC in San Diego and Manny faced the BB shell and ISCG tabs. Didn't really need to do that because the Turner BB shell and tabs seemed to be true from factory as is but just to be sure we took a little off the top. They put the BB in (thanks guys!) and off I went to Aqua's house to finish it up. The hammer comes with a 22 or 24 chainring for a 22-36 or a 24-38 gear combo. Aqua removed the 24 ring and placed the 22 ring in because I need all the uphill help I can get; basic removal and replacement of the ring is plug and play. I am really impressed with the total simplicity of the hammer and ease of maintenance. Once you get the facing / BB spacing figured out it's as easy or easier than a tradtional 2 ring / bash setup to maintain and remove if necessary.

I've now bee able to ride the 'schmidt a few times and I am getting the feel sorted out. The most difficult thing to get used to is the shifting trigger is backwards relative to a traditional setup; the small thumb pedal shifts into the "big ring" and the large paddle shifts into the small. This is for sure going to confuse me when I go back and forth from this bike to the Yeti with a traditional front shifter. Other than that, it's pretty cool. As you may know, shifting while pedaling, not pedaling, pedaling backwards, forwards, in the air, on the ground, under load, or no load at all is instantaneous. The small ring makes no noise when pedaling backwards (and the chain doesn't move) but the "big ring" sounds just like a Hadley rear hub when pedaling backwards as the pawls click away.

Another nice feature is due to having only one ring you can remove a few chain links and make the RD really work by snugging up the chain for little to no chain slap in any gear. It therefore rides really quiet with no FD slap and tight chain; I'm still not used to just the chain hitting the plastic guide and how quiet it is. Also pedaling up or down, I think due to the tighter chain, the engagement is super responsive and feels faster even with a 72pt Hadley hub on the back. And of course the clearance over logs and rocks is improved quite a bit from a traditional 2 ring bash setup.

On a particular trail I ride near my house there is a tricky DH switchback where you need to shift down to pedal into it with some rocky chunk immediately following; normally I can't shift back up in the big ring until I'm out of the chunk below the switch, but this time I shifted down and then immediately back up, without having to pedal and had instant engagement when I did pedal through the chunk resulting in more speed than I ever had in that particular section, superb!

The one word I would use to describe the 'schmidt is "responsive". The shifting is more responsive front and back due to the tighter chain line. On uphills I am able to retain more speed with the same amount of energy expended due to precise thoughtful shifting, and on the DH I'm able to really go faster as I shift where I was not able to shift efficiently before.

All in all I'm really impressed with the system with no real negatives except maybe the backwards paddles; also it's a bit heavier than my previous XT M770 / bash guard setup, but I don't consider that a negative because I'm not that concerned with extra grams. Aqua and I weighed the bike after we installed (but not before) and the bike weighs just over 36 lbs. I guess the only other negative is the under the downtube cable routing, I'd rather it come down the seat tube like the FD. I think SRAM should sell a carbon protector shaped like Giant's Reign protector on the bottom of the downtube / BB junction. This would follow the contour of the 'schmidt cable on the downtube and be nice to ward off any stray rocks and boulders.

We'll see about durability and I'll have more ride reports as I get along.

Thanks for reading!

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Looks nice MJ, thanks for the pics and the report. I'm surprised Aqua helped you with this; I thought he hated festooned gadgets that expose the holes in one's skill package. :eek: I hear he doesn't even use a front derailleur; he just reaches down and picks up the chain with his fingers.

·
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's a Canfield report on the 'schmidt mounted on their Jedi. See what I mean about more speed in areas you couldn't shift in or out of before? On a DH bike even.

"Hey web world, this is the intern Andrew letting you know that we have successfully mounted and raced a Hammerschmidt Crankset on Chris’s Formula One Jedi. Slight modification to the backing plate was all the was required to mount it properly. Chris raced the set up the following day at the Bountiful Downhill Race and won first place in the Pro Men’s Category with a considerable 8-second lead over second place. The Hammerschmidt allowed for instantaneous shifting from an out of the gate speed to full-on pinner gear. It provided Chris the ability to downshift and get extra cranks into spots that were unable to previously. After racing and riding it multiple times Chris continues to praise the instantaneous speed of the system. It gives an exceptional feeling with no noticeable difference to suspension performance when compared to a traditional front ring/guide combo. Adding the Hammerschmidt to the Jedi opens up a world of possibility allowing for climbing gears so that it can become a better self-shuttling bike."

hammer.jpg

Canfield Brothers News

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Wickid MJ finally nice to see someone did this on the 06 ;)

Looks great, now ya just need some 5.5 rockers and spot seat stays to whip that thing off and she'll be purfect :thumbsup:

Only thing I'd do is route that cable along the top tube through the taco drop it behind the shock through the rockers and out the bottom shock mount, Hball did this on his RFX proto, just thought, be my preference, Im anal about clean cable route's, I hate it how bike coy still resort to anything ghey roadie on a dirt bike :D

·
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trailadvent said:
Wickid MJ finally nice to see someone did this on the 06 ;)

Looks great, now ya just need some 5.5 rockers and spot seat stays to whip that thing off and she'll be purfect :thumbsup:

Only thing I'd do is route that cable along the top tube through the taco drop it behind the shock through the rockers and out the bottom shock mount, Hball did this on his RFX proto, just thought, be my preference, Im anal about clean cable route's, I hate it how bike coy still resort to anything ghey roadie on a dirt bike :D
Yea, you're not kidding, pretty much every early review I read about the hammer, it was mounted on an 06 RFX.

I'm with you on the cable routing. HB routed it down the seat tube, huh? Last I saw the cable was down his downtube. We thought the shifting might be compromised if it wasn't down the downtube. I'd def rather have it look cleaner, so when I'm up for it I'll look to changing it out.

Jay, I've seen your setup, very nice by-stickel. What's on that headbadge? :thumbsup:

1sr, I didn't know anyone had it on a HL yet, sweet!

Cornflake, I don't notice any decline in shifting performance or noise when the chain is in 1 or 9. It's crazy cool.

Thanks everyone!

·
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FoShizzle said:
cool stuff MJ! Though I can't believe a nice guy like you associates with Aquatool
Nice? I'm a jackAzz. He and I do well together; b-i-itch'n about things we know nothing about.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
mouse jockey said:
Yea, you're not kidding, pretty much every early review I read about the hammer, it was mounted on an 06 RFX.

I'm with you on the cable routing. HB routed it down the seat tube, huh? Last I saw the cable was down his downtube. We thought the shifting might be compromised if it wasn't down the downtube. I'd def rather have it look cleaner, so when I'm up for it I'll look to changing it out.

Jay, I've seen your setup, very nice by-stickel. What's on that headbadge? :thumbsup:

1sr, I didn't know anyone had it on a HL yet, sweet!

Thanks everyone!
MJ ya know how to build bikes up that's for sure! as to the route I see Chris on his Jedi has gone a similar route so being that it only shifts one way up and don unless its kinked I can't see where there would be any friction. if it was the 9spd side then more shifts up and down so as its not I would think it would work well, Ive not tried it , be sometime before I get HS on my RFX:D

Still trying to learn to get my feet back on the pedals :p

JN has done a good job too no slouch in the nar build department either, he just has a big wheel fetish:skep: :D

And where ya been even Ive seen a few HLs with HS EL C the Sanchez crew are pretty all scmidtted out some others to, names I forget they out there bud pity the HLs aren't coming from the Queen bee anymore but oh well..

Enjoy MJ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Mouse, that's a sweet setup. I've got an 06 also and was wondering about the schmidt. Perhaps we could hook up some time (no pun intended) and I could scope it out.

I could share a tasty libation for your time. BTW, I reside in otay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts