1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone using it? (Hammerschmit)

like?

dislike?

there's a couple bikes we sell that are sold stock with them --- cool concept.

recently sold a set to someone with a custom build -- pretty simple install -- gotta be real accurate with how straight is installs. it took a while to remedy that.

-- pretty heavy that's for sure.

like that extra clearance

dig the concept, hmmmmm... l hope they find a way to lighten it up a bit before l throw it on my bike.

Attachments

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Very well done product. I was amazed that after two seasons the inside of the system didn't show signs of wear or contamination, and it still functioned as flawless as day 1. For such a new concept, they really nailed the execution and produced a dependable product.

My primary gripes were the weight (duh), and the bashguard, which stuck out too far IMO. I often hit my inside ankle off the bash guard while cornering or throwing in off balance pedal strokes.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
too heavy and too expensive for me but really cool concept that seems to be well done. i also heard through a guy my dad works with transition was gonna stop supporting the hs because it was just to finicky on the install. not sure if that is true or just gossip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently was able to build up a Driver 8. I only have 2 days on it, going out again on Friday, but IMO it has made a good bike even better!

I’m running the AM setup with 170 cranks; Ti axle, XO shifters and a carbon bash guard to reduce the weight.

Day 1: DH was a blast, the first thing I noticed was the clearance I had on the lava rocks of Bootleg Canyon. Shifting was easy with NO wasted time jumping from small to big ring…1 simple click ☺

Day 2: Same results with the XC/AM trails. Shifting worked very well on the G-Out’s and up hill climbs. Never felt a “drag” as mentioned in other posts. I’ll keep an eye on my ankles but so far no problems with the bash guard.

With only a few days on the D8/HS I’m still getting use to it but so far so good!!!

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
On the right bike the Hammer rocks. The weight and bit of drag in the 'big ring' are easily outweighed by the instant shifting, compact size and chain retention that the HS offers.
I would not run one on a mini link bike, but they work great on low single pivots, faux bar and four bar type suspension.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The HS is great. I have been using it for a full season on my Commencal Supreme (mini DH). The HS with my bike causes some pedal feedback when using the bike to climb, but I have found that with a smooth pedaling action, I can avoid the feedback. I do notice it on climbs when I need to stand and mash. It is more of a feeling like the bike is raising out of its sag, but not something I am going to worry about. The HS did feel much better on my Intense SS than my current frame.
The ability to shift instantly as others have mentioned is incredible. In tight situations, where the trail needs some quick pedaling and short climbs, instead of using the rear derailleur, just down shift and away you go.
There is some drag in the big ring, but I don't notice it when at speed. I am sure if I used the bike more for XC, the feeling would be more noticeable. I tend to ride straight up then head back down.
I find that on straight up dh trails, there is no advantage to having it, but I made a trip out West and rode on the North Shore, it was amazing.
Everyone keeps going on about the weight penalty. I am curious to know how much of a difference there actually is compared to a double ring with bash, front derailleur and guide. I know that there is a difference, but how much? I am also able to run a smaller cassette (11-28) and have a shorter chain.

Eric

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the AM HammerSchmidt on my SX Trail and love it! The good: Install was really easy. Setting up the shifter cable was way, way easier than dealing with a front derailleur and getting that dialed in. The increased clearance and built in bashguard are wonderful. Being able to shift whenever is another great benefit. You really don't need to even plan your shifts ahead as shifting is instantaneous and can be done in any situation (under load, pedaling backwards, just sitting there, etc.). It has also been extremely reliable.

The less than good: It's hefty. The shifter takes some getting used to since it works the opposite as other front shifters. However, it doesn't take long to become accustomed to the shifting. It makes noise. It's not extremely loud, but it's definitely noticeable. Some may hate it, others won't care. I have CK hubs so I'm fine with the noise:) You also may have to explain it to a lot of other riders. Not the worst thing in the world, but I'd rather be riding than discussing gear.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
been rocking mine for a year now on a transition bottlerocket. flawless awesomeness. with the low pivot it pedals 1000000x better than it did with a 34t ring, and now i use it as an AM bike.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah -- first time actually installing the goods.

l was not thrilled about the weight -- technically, l haven't compared it to a traditional products total weight of chainring, bb, crank, bash ring, front D of equal value.

l do like the added clearance -- that's a huge bonus. l think of several spots where l hit the bash ring trying to huck over rocks and fallen trees.

it took me a while to fine tune the set up. a lot of trial and error getting that 3 bolt nice and flat -- turns out, the lower/left ISCG mount needed to be bent a little (like 1.5mm) -- it wasn't coasting well at first but after tweekin' the ISCG bolt mount, it ran perfectly.

l have had a number of people ask me about the product but l didn't have any hands-on feedback besides a few bikes that passed through my hands that were built with the product. l'm not one to buy products willy-nilly without being sure about how well it works.
l was a little iffy about it buying it for that Covert. after installing it. l'm very impressed.. not too thrilled about the weight but l think the total package is very reasonable.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Been rockin' HS on my Delirium for about 6 months and the concept, execution, ground clearance, and shifting are incredible.

That said, the 36t granny ring on the new 10spd cassettes will likely cause me to ditch the HS for a 1x10 setup with 32t front ring. This will drop a minimum of 2 pounds, and probably more depending on parts choice.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ridden Hammerschmidt on a '10 Sanction 1 with X9, a Talas 36 RC2 160mm/DHX 5 Air for the last 6 months.

All I can say is that the HS shifting is great - very smooth. I also love the extra ground clearance rolling over stuff that I would've snagged on before. I'm not concerned about weight weenie stuff - my rig weighs in at 34 lbs. which is fairly burly for an AM ride and yet it still climbs decently despite the extra weight of the HS - to me its a reasonable tradeoff. :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've had mine for about a year an I love it. Especially on fast rough trails... I've always had trouble keeping the chain on in that situation. Even with a 2x9 + blackspire setup. Pretty much impossible to drop a chain on the HS.
install was a snap (Specialized SX -{not trail})
It would be fun to try an run my bike as a SS rear, 2 speed front.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Been rockin' HS on my Delirium for about 6 months and the concept, execution, ground clearance, and shifting are incredible.

That said, the 36t granny ring on the new 10spd cassettes will likely cause me to ditch the HS for a 1x10 setup with 32t front ring. This will drop a minimum of 2 pounds, and probably more depending on parts choice.
After two rides on my HS this is exactly what I did. I purchased a 11-36 XX cassette, M980 xtr cranks MRP g2 chain guide and a 32 tooth front chain ring. I dropped about 2 pounds off my bike with the new setup. The downside is the SRAM X0/XX 10sp doesn't shift very well.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
Demodude said:
I've had mine for about a year an I love it. Especially on fast rough trails... I've always had trouble keeping the chain on in that situation. Even with a 2x9 + blackspire setup. Pretty much impossible to drop a chain on the HS.
install was a snap (Specialized SX -{not trail})
It would be fun to try an run my bike as a SS rear, 2 speed front.
wow, sx with a hs, that thing must be a hoot :thumbsup:

·
Registered
531 Posts
have one on my AM bike and one on my FR bike. (wont fit on my DH bike so i guess im stuck with 1x9) ill take the weight penalty. havnt had one single issue. ive had the HS on my AM bike for over a year and ive had it serviced/greased once only because i felt like i should. not because it was acting up. did you face the ISCG tabs with the special tool? my local HS expert/mechanic says thats where most if the install issues come from but i guess the tool is expensive and most shops dont use it.

the only down side ive found is the crappy feeling you get when you ride a bike with a fd

on a side note.....you are called pedal shop.....yet that bike has everything but pedals. is it one of those opposite nicknames like calling a bald guy "curly", or a fat guy "slim"? maybe you sell everything but pedals and someone sarcastically called you "pedal shop" and the name stuck? im very conflicted about this whole situation.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

I third this. I have a Hammerschmidt in a box that I really want to ride again. The shifting is insanely good and it's just a durned cool product. But I love a high pivot and HS doesn't play well with these designs, and my Sixc crankset with a single 32t ring saves well over two pounds. Sure, it's not apples to apples because I am not running a front derailleur. But the 32x36 should be good enough for my 6x6 bike and the 32t chainring lines right up with my bike's pivot point. Awesome pedaling.

I have had zero issues with XO/XX ten speed shifting. Plus with a single ring or HS you can rock the short derailleur cage which has advantages as well.

JMH

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.