Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should I ride with a stem...

...mounted flask holder?

I'll be going for my 1st/2nd 24 hour race here in 2 weeks (The First one was 5 years ago and I had to stop 14 hours into because of a previous illness). I plan on usiing hammergel/perputuam. Has anybody used the flask holder for the hammergel. Does it hold the flask well, can you get the flask out easily? I have found that my pockets get gummed up from the flask. Also, I am trying to figure out if I am going to be running a Camelback at the race (24 of Nine Mile in Wausau, WI). What are others doing? This will be a primarily flat 15 mile loop. My big concern is will 2 bottles be enough for 1 1/2 hour of riding?

And Jeff Kerkove, if you are reading this than you may remember me. I have been absent from racing for a couple of years, but my nickname was always Jo Mama. I remember racing with you in the expert class in MN. I'll be looking for you in Wausau. I have no grand dreams of winning, but a top 3 spot would give me a good sized load in my pants. Any tips you can offer about the course? See you there!

Thanks, Charly Tri

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yes, I remember

Yeah, I remember racing against you. I think the last time I raced against you it was at Cherry Bomb, when you pulled off to the side of the trail to ask your lady-friend to marry you. Am I right?

I use a lot of the Hammer / E-cap products. I do NOT use the flask holder, cause they don't recommend it for off-road adventures due to the fact it does not hold tight enough. If your flasks are leaking, it's just because you are not getting the cap tight enough when you snap it down. This is known from personal experiences.

I might use a camelback at 24-9. I did a 24 hr race in Montana earlier this year, and the laps were around 15 miles(alittle over an hour per lap), and it was good to have some water to drink and/or wash down the Hammer drinks. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. 24-9 is around 15 mile loops and when I did it 2 years ago I got by on one large bottle per lap. I will have to see.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No flask holder it is. I am married now. She'll be my support at the race :eek: . I am not in as good as shape, but hope to survive.

Right now I am leaning towards 2 small bottles.

Well, I'll have to see if that works. My plan for the race is to beat as many guys as possible. I hope my plan works well.

I'm going for to try out my HID light tonight. It sure seems bright.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Logantri said:
I'm going for to try out my HID light tonight. It sure seems bright.
What light did you buy? I'm looking to make an HID purchase soon. I'd like to get the ARC Lion, but I guess it would be about $700 for the light and an extra battery. So, I think I'll go with the Lume Lighting HID. Should be more like $400.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got back after riding about 1 1/2 hours with my new light. I got the Storm by Niterider. Daaaang! I am used to a 15 watt Vistalite, and the difference is huge! The light is a helmet mount, retails for about $400. It is claimed to have a 4 hour burn time, and based on the reviews that seems accurate. I really felt like I was riding during the day except for tight corners that were hard for the light to reach. I have no experiance with any other lights beyond that. I have a friend that has this same light and I'll be borrowing his battery for the race.

I hope that helps.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You can use a cell phone holder on the Camelbak strap to hold the Hammergel flask. Works well if you carry a pack. I also prefer a high powered helmet light so need a pack for the battery anyway. I have a smaller 50 oz pack that works well for racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.