Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People,

After reading all the information on this product, I was very keen to try it. I purchased a large container, however, the first time I have tried it I found it almost undrinkable. The taste was just arwful and the smell not a great deal better. I tried to battle through a whole 500ml drink but just could not do it.

Maybe I have a sweet tooth, so I am wondering if anyone has tried adding or mixing something to make it more palatable. My only concern was the label saying not to mix with simple sugars.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Recoverite definitely tastes different, especially if you are used to something like Endurox or Gatorade. As seems to be the case with most of the Hammer products, the thicker the mixture the better it tastes. Try it with less water. It took me a few times to get used to it but now I think it tastes great.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Recoverite

Once driving home from a race early on a Sunday I did not want to stop to mix a drink (was in a hurry to get home) so I started eating the Recoverite powder straight out of the tub, creating a "drink" with my saliva. Got through about 1.5 scoops before I decided to back off.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I also use the product per directions and like that pretty well :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ozigreg said:
Hi People,

After reading all the information on this product, I was very keen to try it. I purchased a large container, however, the first time I have tried it I found it almost undrinkable. The taste was just arwful and the smell not a great deal better. I tried to battle through a whole 500ml drink but just could not do it.

Maybe I have a sweet tooth, so I am wondering if anyone has tried adding or mixing something to make it more palatable. My only concern was the label saying not to mix with simple sugars.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, thanks.
If you have the means, try it ICE COLD while you're getting used to it. Very cold and, as
skinl19 suggested, maybe a little stronger. It'll taste kind of like a milk shake.

When I first started using Hammer products, I had to 'practice' with them (I started in the winter on the trainer, and went from sipping only a little during a workout to finishing a whole bottle of HEED without gagging :D ) .. I REALLY hated the recoverite taste at first, but have really gotten used to it.

Believe me though, its worth the effort to get used to it .. goood stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I like the taste and I agree that the colder the better. I definitely think it helps my recovery so I try to take after any ride I do that is two hours or longer.

Try making a Recoverite "slurpee" out of it. Water + ice cubes + Recovertite + blender = yum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try mixing your own

I don't mind the taste of recoverite - and it's convenient. But you can always try mixing your own. Start with a scoop of Hammer Whey (about 100 calories) and then add three servings of your favorite Hammer Gel (each about 100 calories) - Or even Heed.

I've found Banana and Apple Cinnamon are good. Chocolate and Vanilla - not really - at least for me. The new tropical flavor also works well.

You now have a 400 calorie recovery drink with the 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein. If 400 calories is too much split it and save the rest for later.

·
friend of preston
219 Posts
hammer taste

we sell the products and i have tried them all. needless to say im not a big fan of the perpetuem or the recoverite taste.
the heed however is benefited greatly by a scoop of powerade or similar tasting beverage mix.
the gels are good, save the banana one, its the only gel to make me chuck.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
I like the taste of Recoverite personally, a lot like HEED. I think the taste reminds me of those sugar-free candies, and I loved those as a kid.

On a slightly different note, the new tropical flavor Hammer gel seems horrible to me after my first try of it, tasted like canned spaghettios. I'll have to give it another try to see if it was a fluke though.

·
good ol dog dreams
187 Posts
I usually mix mine with less water and it's fine. You could also order and mix your own recovery bomb. Just order some Carbo Gain (long chain Maltodextrin) and mix it with whatver Protein Whey Isolate you'd like. I used to mix mine 4:1 before using Recoverite and you can get different flavors. One key to this is to get an insulin spike by chugging a sweet drink like soda beforehand, then down the recovery bomb. Insulin helps the muscles absorb the drink quickly, hence a speedy recovery. Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
659 Posts
On a slightly different note, the new tropical flavor Hammer gel seems horrible to me after my first try of it, tasted like canned spaghettios. I'll have to give it another try to see if it was a fluke though.
The Tropical flavor had mixed reviews, there is a new version of it coming out soon to replace the original. I haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to be much better.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
skinl19 said:
The Tropical flavor had mixed reviews, there is a new version of it coming out soon to replace the original. I haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to be much better.
I should have a sample of the tropical coming in my order next week. I will report back after i try it.

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
nepbug said:
No fluke there my friend, spaghettios is very accurate but it also leaves a mango like aftertaste :nono: . I tried it on my ride yesterday and could not make myself take another sip from the flask. Luckily I had HEED in a bottle to save the day otherwise I would've bonked bad. I'm glad I didn't try this during a race ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a nearly full canister of the Recoverite under the kitchen sink and there it will most likely stay since I have discovered the low-fat Nestle Quick chocolate milk "recovery drink". The cost savings over the popular brands of scientifically proven formulas is more than justificaton to make the switch and the taste...well, let's just say that it doesn't suck.

Take a look at the nutritional list on the Nestle Quick label and then at those of your favorite, or not so favorite recovery drink and you decide if it's worth a try.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Dent said:
I have a nearly full canister of the Recoverite under the kitchen sink and there it will most likely stay since I have discovered the low-fat Nestle Quick chocolate milk "recovery drink". .
If you are not satisfied with the Hammer Nutrition products give them a call at 800-336-1977 for a refund. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info EBG 18T but I think that I'll hold onto it for those times that I open the fridge and someone else has discovered the great taste of good old fashioned chocolate milk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.