Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a great deal on a brand new 2009 Hammer 29er frame and I am going to build it up as a rigid single speed. I want to leave the option open to go to a 1x9 so I will be getting a 9 speed hub and SS conversion spacers. The main reason for this is I was originally looking for 1x9 but because the frame fell into my lap, I would like to give a SS a chance since I have the right tool at my disposal. Have any of you built one of these frames up? Is there anything in particular that worked well, or didn't work well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got this exact frame and I got to say a like it alot. Mine is geared right now, but i've once used a Paul Components Chain Keeper for a 1x9 setup. Worked like a charm ! I was a bit concerned by the eccentric bottom bracket shell and tought it was going to be noisy. I never had a creaking problem with this bike.

The only setback I have with this frame is the height of the front end. I've got a Fox 100mm fork, no headset spacers, a long stem and the bike always want to go on a wheelie on a hard climb. A shorter headtube or integrated headset would have been welcome but might have been hard to design with such a frame... i'm no engineer !

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. So far I haven't made too many decisions on exactly what I will using except for a few items. I've got a set of Formula brakes that I took off my Vertex 29 SE that I am planning to throw on. I will probably go with a Thomson Elite seatpost, and I found these wheels that I think will look sweet with the frame:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am running Easton EA70 Wide flat bar. This upgrade helped alot with the position on the bike. My Hammer came with Race Face riser bars and the whole ride felt like a Monster Truck !

IMHO, the Hammer is a great "fun bike". It's super smooth and comfy... but it's no racer and wasn't intended to be.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I demo'ed one at MBO last year, and it rode really nice. It had riser bars on it, and I agree it could benefit from a flat bar. Rocky Mountain Cyclery has been blowing these frames out at killer deals lately... Have fun!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've started down a bad path with the orange theme :( If found WAY too many cool things that are going to significantly increase my costs. Oh well, bikes have never been cheap before so why start now, right? Thankfully I found this saddle as the new completely orange carbon Fizik Tundras are 3X as much as I got this one for!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
sweet, i've been watching ebay for one of these too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
AK47 said:
What were the years RM made the Hammer 29 anyway? 2008 and 2009 only? Can't find them in the 2009 section of the RM website...
Pretty sure it was 2008 and 2009 only. In 2008 I think it was just the SS version in black, with both geared and SS completes available in 2009. The geared completes were orange frames, SS were the powder blue. Frames were identical other than color, with both having the EBB.

Watching this thread with interest, as I picked up one of the Ebay frames and am in the process of building it up as a 1x9.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just about all the parts are in now! Still a few pieces to come in the mail, but everything has been ordered. My build list:

Wheelset - Velocity Blunt rims (orange) with Shimano XT hubs
Shimano XT skewers
Formula Oro K24 brakes + Orange Straitline levers
180mm (F) and 160mm (R) Formula Oro rotors
Thomson Elite seatpost (and orange top plates)
Thomson Elite X4 100m 0* rise stem
RaceFace Deus 3/4 rise bar (ano orange)
Origin8 Single Speed Spacer kit (ano orange)
Exotic rigid aluminum 29er disc only fork
FSA Orbit MX headset (ano orange)
Fizik Tundra saddle (white and orange)

My buddy (who is a mechanic) is pulling a SS crankset for me but I don't know what it is.

·
Paper Mill Aleworks
1,484 Posts
Just built one of these up as well, it's been a blast so far.
Went a different drivetrain route that you, but I'm diggin your "orange" theme.

Almost picked up those orange Blunt's as well, haha.
I'm thinking about changing out the white Oury's for orange now though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RMB-PM said:
Like it! Don't do the orange grips though!!
Funny you should mention that. I was either going to go with black bars and orange grips or orange bars and black grips. In the end, I decided to stick with the same grips I have on every other bike. Something told me that the orange grips would look black within a few months.

I'm getting antsy to put the bike together but I am still waiting on a few parts to arrive. I will post some pics once I get everything in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided to mount the tires tonight as I couldn't let all the parts just sit around. :) I used the Bontrager 29er rim strims (as recommended by a few who have converted Velocity Blunts to tubeless). The Ardent 2.25s were tough to get on the rims but sealed easily, considering I didn't pre-mount with a tube. The orange rims look hawt ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.