Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**** Please note, because I'm an idiot and didn't consult my wife first, the date needs to be changed to Sunday May 18th, 9:00 am**** Everything else remains the same.

Alright.....For anyone that is interested.

This coming Sunday I will be doing a long MTB ride around the Hamilton region. This will be ~ 100 km, composed of 25% singletrack, 50% gravel/doubletrack, 25% road/paved path. I venture this will take 5-8 hours depending on the group of riders.

We will depart from the Barn parking lot at Upper Gage and Fennell at 9:00 am. We will then proceed through Iroquois Heights, Dundas Valley, Waterdown, the Waterfront trail (paved path), then up to Dewitt and trail back into Hamilton through the Red Hill Creek. Anyone interested in cutting it short into ~ 2 hrs is welcome to bail back from Dundas Valley. Once we hit Waterdown, you are pretty committed to the entire ride.

The pace won't be blistering, however it will be steady with 10 minute breaks every couple hours. People should be self sufficient with food, liquid, tools and supplies. I'll route in two pitt stops at corner stores. So a little cash would help. This will be a pretty serious endeavor, with a significant amount of climbing, so please consider wisely and feel free to ask questions.

I've organized enough events to know that I can't please everyone, so I'm just going to say this date is firm. Ride will occur through all reasonable weather forecasts. If things look horrible, I'll try for a rain date of Monday.

I'll supply some beer and burgers at my place at the end of the ride. Please post up if you are going to come, that way I know whether to even head over to the parking lot in the morning or head out solo.

Cheers, Jeff

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I plan to be there! I'm interested to see how many km I can squeeze out of these skinny legs.

Do you know of anybody outside of MTBR that is interested?

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Nice loop you planned. Looks good.

Not sure if i can make it. The wife might have to work the weekend, so im dad sitting. I will let you know either way later in the week.

Hey, Ryan.....l think theres lotsa km's in them skinny legs. Might have to put some rocks in your pockets though.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
norm said:
Hey, Ryan.....l think theres lotsa km's in them skinny legs. Might have to put some rocks in your pockets though.
I think Jeff is the one that should have to carry the rocks. :p He beat me at the Tour of Pelham.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note: My wife just informed me that I am booked on Saturday and she's not prepared to loose out to riding again (completely reasonable request). Ride date has changed to Sunday May 18th. All other details the same.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
I sort of figured you might put it on this weekend. I am racing Sat/Sun, so unfortunately I can't make it. If it goes Monday instead, I may be able to, but I don't know what I'll have left in my legs after the race (team 24h).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Love to join the ride, but I've got a family BBQ on Sunday that this would interfere with. Lemme know how this goes guys, and perhaps I'll try joining on the next time. I'll be interested to hear what your avg. speed was over the trek, to see if I could actaully keep up :)

Tim

·
Registered
392 Posts
From Oakville take the 403 into Hamilton, up the escarpment, get off at the Linc going East, then take teh Upper Gage exit, turn left (north) and about five lights up you'll come to Fennell and Upper Gage, the Barn is on the right.

Good luck to those going, i'd love to tag along, but family commitments take priority this weekend.

Tim

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.