Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Looking forward to Sunday. So far the weather look good and I should get my shock back today. I just "jinxes" everything so my shock will get lost in the mail and it will snow on Sunday. See you all there anyway. Jeff, I will bring some beer and let us know if you need anything else.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
jcr1 said:
Looking forward to Sunday. So far the weather look good and I should get my shock back today. I just "jinxes" everything so my shock will get lost in the mail and it will snow on Sunday. See you all there anyway. Jeff, I will bring some beer and let us know if you need anything else.
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yeah, weather looks great right now. Here's hoping nothing happens to your shock JC.

Rode close to half the route last night and will ride the other half today. Managed to get two of the best sections of singletrack in the area brought into the ride. One is tight, fast, flowy and the other nice and technical. Something for everyone! Oh yeah, I've thrown in a couple more climbs.

For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter. There will be a bike related prize for each.

Looking forward to Sunday.

CptSydor said:
For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter.
Awesome! I'll be there for sure.

CptSydor said:
For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter. There will be a bike related prize for each.

Looking forward to Sunday.
Haha, that's wicked.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Alright boys. Just got in from a little more scouting. Looks like I can't re-route (or add) as much as I would like. Me riding solo with all the extra trail, no breaks except to fill bottles a couple times (<5 min) and I was looking at close to 8 hours over the past couple days.
I've still go some new stuff planned, but we'll be sticking to a ride more similar to last year.
On the good news, I think I can route out a 100 miler if any one wants in!

Latecomer meeting point?

OK...so my bud wants to do the ride. He needs to meet us mid-route as he can't get to the starting point by 9AM. Could you suggest a latecomer meeting point that we would be passing by at around 10 or 10:30AM? Ie., trailhead, parking lot, road crossing or someplace he could wait for us along the route?

Thanks, looking forward to the ride!

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Hey Luke

I've got the route passing by Train station on the rail trail in Dundas Valley twice. I would guess we'll be coming through there at 10:15-10:30, then 30 minutes later. Might be a good spot as we'll come through twice. (First time from the exercise trail, second time coming from the west on the rail trail).

CptSydor said:
Hey Luke

I've got the route passing by Train station on the rail trail in Dundas Valley twice. I would guess we'll be coming through there at 10:15-10:30, then 30 minutes later. Might be a good spot as we'll come through twice. (First time from the exercise trail, second time coming from the west on the rail trail).
Great! That should be a perfect place for him to park and wait around for us and we should be able to find each other easily.

As for the aforementioned 100-miler route...I think I will know exactly how interested I am at about 5PM Sunday. :p

Alright, the bike is good to go so here's hoping my legs are too. The route sounds great, and is sure to be a challenge if it's anything like last year. I'm bringing a buddy along, so add 2 to the count.

Jeff, looking back at photos from last year I noticed you were the only one without a camelback. I normally don't use one (really dislike the feeling) and am planning on using bottles. Do you think 2 or 3 bottles should be good between stops?

Discussion starter · #36 ·
jmoote said:
Jeff, looking back at photos from last year I noticed you were the only one without a camelback. I normally don't use one (really dislike the feeling) and am planning on using bottles. Do you think 2 or 3 bottles should be good between stops?
Jeff, I know the feeling, not a big fan of camelbacks. I'd suggest three bottles, which is what I always bring on my rides longer than 1.5 hours. I'm a heavy sweater however. We'll likely not go more than 2 hours without a fountain, however, you never know if you, or maybe someone else might need it.

Hey Jeff M, why are you planning food and hydration? If it's anything like the last ride don't waste your money it's all coming out anyway.

As for the route, I am up for anything. Everybody, make sure you come prepare so you don't run out of water. Hope to ride more Waterdown trail this year. It should be a great day, can't wait to get back on my 29er after 3 weeks off. Gotta go set up the new brain now

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Jeff, there might be some banana left from last year! (JCR beat me to that one)

FYI to everyone. replenishing food will likely only occur once at a convenience store. Selections of high performance foods might be minimal and potentially harmful if you haven't done much eating at 4-5 hours of tough ride. Make sure you are well equipped with a good 1000 cal of food that you are confident you can stomach.

We are looking at a pretty serious ride here. 11 - 15 people. Not to mention good weather. This is going to be fun!

JCR
RKJ
JMoote + 1
Lukey + 1
Verndog + 1 (or more)
Thedumbopinion
Kakapoopoo
beereppc
OrbeaAbsalon

maybe..
Kaikara
Macming

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.