Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Due to many requests, ride is now SUNDAY July 12. Same time, same place.

Back by popular demand, we are going to try for round 4 of the hamilton endurance ride on July 12th. No OCUP's, no marathon series, no relay races, no excuses not to come out. Here's the previous attempts. Serious rain has played a role in all of them so far, here's hoping.

Round 1:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=411688&highlight=hamilton,+endurance

Round 2:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=429387&highlight=hamilton,+endurance

The skinny

Where: We meet in the Metro Grocery store parking lot, 9:00 am, Saturday July 11th. This is at the corner of Upper Gage and Fennell in Hamilton.

What to expect: I'm brining in more trail for your dollar (which is $0, good deal). I'll be mixing this up, expect the first 30-40km to be completely different. If all goes well, we'll be riding ~ 100 km and climbing ~ 1300 m. The pace will be steady, but not blistering with a couple stops. We'll likely finish in ~ 7-8 hrs given normal group dynamics. We'll try to break for water at ~2.5 hours and then hit a store at ~ 5 hrs. However, be prepared for at least 3 hours of self supported riding.

The route: We'll be riding sections of singletrack connected by rail trail, double track, paved waterfront trail and some road.

Post ride: I'll provide some eats and treats (aka BBQ, chips, pasta salad and BEER) if you can make it to the end. (We won't strand anyone, don't worry)

If you have an questions, fire away.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
You know, I am not much for these long rides, but the good company that came with the one last summer has me thinking I'd be silly not to join. Here's hoping school/work doesn't pile up too much in the next week...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Bah, I usually work Saturdays. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Jeff, would Sunday work instead of Saturday. It would just work better for me + Ryan doesn't work on Sunday. Just an idea...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sunday is possible for me. If that works better for people we can make it happen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sunday??

I will double-check to see if I can adjust my schedule, but I think I currently have a conflict for Saturday. Sunday (12th) would be most excellent if that is doable. Here's hoping Sunday gets the group nod, but I'll try to be there either way.

Any rough outlines on the percentages for road/gravel/double-/single-track we may expect?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright. Since many people are requesting, I have no problems. Ride is now officially on for Sunday July 12th. 9:00, same meeting place.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Ok, I think that will work better for me. I should be there for another round.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am also in. Hope I get my Brain shock back by then. If not I will be riding my freeride bike and try to keep up. See you all there

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
I wanted to do one of these last year with you guys but the distance was to much for me then. I think I can handle it now since my fitness is way better then last year.

I'm going to try and make it out, I'll pack a map just in case things turn south and I'll ride back solo or take a short cut.

Should we bring any treats for the BBQ? Yes I think we should.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guests are always welcome. The more people, the more the suffering is dispersed?

Lukey, is the coffin to drag behind you to give the rest of use a chance to keep up? Even if you are doing an epic the day before.

Finally, unless you have dietary restrictions, I'll just be throwing some simple burgers and sausage on the BBQ, nothing special, nor overly expensive, so I wouldn't worry about leaving it in your car all day.

·
Registered
244 Posts
CptSydor said:
Lukey, is the coffin to drag behind you to give the rest of use a chance to keep up? Even if you are doing an epic the day before.
That thing? That's my lunchbox. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
macming said:
Forecast isn't looking very good for this weekend:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0289
Well, I'll be so bold as to say, I can't be much worse than the past 2 times we've tried and that only made us stronger and hungrier.

I'll start seriously looking at the forecast Friday night. If it looks completely horrible we can cancel or re-route day of to prevent suffering and trail damage.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts