Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As advertised, CptSydor (Jeff) and I (Marc) attended the first Hamilton Cycling Club (HCC) executive meeting of the year. After introductions and a brief welcome, we got right down to business as the first item on the agenda.

In broad strokes, we laid out what we, as mountain bikers, hoped to accomplish as part of the HCC in the near-to-long term:

• advocate with the City, HRCA, RBG and the new Cootes to Escarpment management to maintain and/or increase land access
  • build and maintain sanctioned trail systems in one or all of Waterdown, Chedoke and Red Hill with the possible eventual goal of hosting our own O-Cup

The executive moved to propose two motions:

• to create TWO (!) board positions dedicated to mountain biking
  • to affiliate with IMBA

Both were PASSED UNANIMOUSLY with no hesitation! To say that the executive was eager to have us would be a gross understatement. Furthermore, they will amend the club's constitution at the next AGM to include specific verbiage with regards to mountain biking.

As newly minted surrogate executive members, we were invited to stay for the rest of the meeting and we did just that. I was really keen to learn about all the activity going on in the club including (but not limited to) planning the Good Friday road O-Cup, the youth development program, the Trillium grants and the rider sponsorship program. There's really a LOT of good work going on there! :thumbsup:

What now, you might ask?

I propose that all interested riders meet again next Wednesday (negotiable) at the Coach and Lantern (negotiable but I'll book the same room if enough people want in) to go over details and sign membership forms en masse. I would also like to use this meeting to start planning our committee structure and actions.

Lukey left Jeff with a lot of information before he left on vacation that will make a great framework for building a great MTB club!

Who's in? :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Ramble/Ramble

Hello Everyone

As promised, here is my report after meeting with the HCC executive last night. In attendance on ‘behalf’ (and I say that loosely) of the MTB community was Marc and myself. We were both in attendance during the original meeting on Jan 6th.

The meeting was not a general membership meeting, but open only to the current executive board (8 members). Both Marc and I were warmly welcomed into the procedures of the night.

The first topic on the agenda was ‘MTB Guests’. The situation was explained to the 4 executives who did not attend our initial meeting on Jan 6th. There was excellent discussion and motions were passed to create two new executive board positions that will be filled by MTB community members. The second motion was for the club to join the IMBA, which was passed as well. Marc and I sat through the remainder of the meeting which focused on the current club affairs.

There is the formality. Here are my thoughts/declarations

The Hamilton Cycling Club is completely on board with having a strong MTB presence within their club. I think this is evident by the unanimous creation of two new executive positions on their board in an attempt help organize the MTB community (we still need to do this). At least 3 of the current 8 members have significant ties to the MTB scene (be it racing/coaching/youth programs), hence the issues we face do not fall on deaf years.

The current club has significant ties to road racing. This is mainly from a historical perspective as the primary demographic in the club, especially on the executive has been involved with this aspect of cycling. As a result, the club has and will continue with this as a direction, especially considering the legacy events (Good Friday road race, Valley Park CX race, etc) that have always been a part of the club. What was apparent from last night, is that expanding, with the dedication of few individuals within the club is accepted, encouraged and the executive, regardless of their primary interest will lend support where they can. This was clear from the discussion of the youth program. From what I can tell, this aspect of the club has grown and is currently growing under the tutelage of a couple very keen members who are working diligently to ensure the programs expands. This sets an excellent precedent that the full club resources will be available to a sub community of mountain bikers who are passionate and prepared to work for our causes.

At this point, I am recommending the mountain bike community join the HCC so we can have a unified cycling club. From my perspective, from the last meeting, the good portion of people who raised their hand and said they were willing to devote significant time and effort (mainly myself, Marc (garage monster) and Lukey) to the development of club, all were interested in stepping into the infrastructure of the HCC, conditional arms were wide open from the current executive. I have no hesitation after attending the meeting.

Here are some facts and or fictions of how I envision MTB can integrate into the HCC. (this is simply an idea, not concrete)
1) Membership. Fees are $50 for entry, + $25 OCA insurance (unless already obtained elsewhere such as an OCA/CCA/UCI race licence). The insurance is absolutely needed when organizing club activities. This does cover off-road riding. Most other clubs in the province are under this umbrella as well. There was discussion of IMBA insurance at the meeting, and while slightly cheaper, there is no reason to have two suppliers. This just simplifies logistics. In the event that the HCC MTB division begins managing a portion of trail, then IMBA insurance will be obtained to cover every km of trail for any rider, irrespective of HCC membership. The HCC is completely on board with this when (not if!) it happens.

As has been mentioned before, the price is higher than a grass route club, but we are purchasing infrastructure, membership numbers, and experience in dealing with red tape. If you have ever been involved with organizing any form of conglomerate of people in a respectable manner, you will likely agree this can be close to priceless. If you have not organized anything under an official banner, I suggest you give it a shot!

2) Executive board positions.

i) General MTB member. Primary focus will be on all things MTB, from organizing regular rides, trips, clinics, etc. All the stuff that involves riding bikes in the dirt. For people to be involved with the club, we obviously need these aspects to tie a large portion together.

ii) Trail Advocacy member. This is where the majority of interests stand. This person will be responsible for organizing a sub-committee that itself will be akin to a new club. The sub-committee (5-6 members) will be responsible for approaching/lobbying government bodies for the rights of mountain bikers. The sub-committee would also be responsible for trail building, land management when (not if!) we get access to grounds (this all seems reasonable given the research lukey has done on the current status of municipal land with designation for MTB/recreation). The organizer will be responsible to report back to the executive and garner the support/resources from the current club infrastructure.

How these positions will be allocated is not decided and open to discussion. Marc and I are currently standing in for this position until some form of consensus can be made. I for one will nominate Lukey to take on the roll of position ii) if he is willing upon return from overseas.

I think most people are in agreement that we need to stand together as a group to best exercise our will upon the evil empire that is suppressing us (sorry, felt like getting dramatic). There are a few of us who are prepared to give this an effort in collaboration with the HCC, so we will be taking this approach. If you, or the people you love (to ride with) have doubts, I suggest you read Lukey’s posts. If you cannot get behind what he stands for, or the knowledge, ideas and dedication he brings to table, well, I’m unsure what to say. Lukey, without speaking for him, but from his posts and in discussion, is on board with the HCC route.

Hopefully whoever ends up in these positions will garner you support. I also hope people will step up to the plate and become involved with the club in support of those who will be driving the effort.

As Marc suggested, another meeting will be held next Wednesday. I hope we can gather an even large group. We will be there to answer questions, take suggestions and hopefully start a community of mountain bikers that will lead us down a path to elevate the state of mountain biking in the Hamilton area.

Cheers

Jeff

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sirbikealot said:
coach and lantern i understand is a possibility?
Yep, we had our first meeting last week in the room upstairs. Very nice. I highly recommend the curry (and Guiness). :)

Here's the location if you're unfamiliar with it.

Sounds like we have a quorum of sorts, I'll book the room! :thumbsup:

(On an unrelated note, I had no idea you were from Dundas too! Small, tiny world! :))

·
www.sirbikealotracing.com
201 Posts
garage monster said:
Yep, we had our first meeting last week in the room upstairs. Very nice. I highly recommend the curry (and Guiness). :)

Here's the location if you're unfamiliar with it.

Sounds like we have a quorum of sorts, I'll book the room! :thumbsup:
yep i'm familiar with the coach, maybe a little to familiar ;)
what time?

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang, just ran into a snag; the room's already booked next Wednesday :(.

I think we have 3 options:

1. Change venues
  2. Change nights
  3. Screw it and try to talk over the band downstairs

I'd personally prefer to keep the same night. Any ideas on other venues? Anyone? :confused:

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Henry D. said:
I think The Winchester Arms in Dundas has a back room around the same size as the Coach and Lantern.
Done and done! Our reservation is for 7PM (under Marc Risdale) at the Winchester Arms in BEAUTIFUL downtown Dundas. I can totally stagger home from this one!

Thanks Henry!

·
Registered
685 Posts
CptSydor said:
Ramble/Ramble

As Marc suggested, another meeting will be held next Wednesday. I hope we can gather an even large group. We will be there to answer questions, take suggestions and hopefully start a community of mountain bikers that will lead us down a path to elevate the state of mountain biking in the Hamilton area.

Cheers

Jeff
Should we be posting notice of this meeting on other forums and at local bike shops?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
langford said:
Should we be posting notice of this meeting on other forums and at local bike shops?
Here is a poster. (Too busy?). We should get it into

Peiriks
Freewheel
Waterdown
Central
Mountain Top
Scantallion
Ancaster
Brant

Post on

bikeforums
dropmachine
pinkbike

I don't have the time to get these out. Any one(s) able to do this before the weekend. I can hit forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Replying to Jeff's poster thread 7 post up in the thread.

Posters look good, who's the poster boy???

I can look after East Hamilton bike shops - Central, Main, All the Right Gears and can drop some off in Burlington, Milton and maybe Oakville too.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
langford said:
Replying to Jeff's poster thread 7 post up in the thread.

Posters look good, who's the poster boy???

I can look after East Hamilton bike shops - Central, Main, All the Right Gears and can drop some off in Burlington, Milton and maybe Oakville too.
Excellent.

Poster boy is me! Don't let the number plate fool you, that's not what we are all about!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.