Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the new Halo Spin Doctor hubs are OK, or should I steer clear?

Basically I'm looking for some decent, affordable hubs that aren't boat-anchors. On paper these new Halo hubs look like a bit of an improvement over earlier Spin Doctor hubs. I did a search, but got little info, so I'd welcome any advice before I pull the trigger. Here's the 2 hubs I'm cogitating....

Oh, and a bit of background info....
  • I'm a largish gent (weigh ~95kg), and I clock up a few km 'cuz I ride every day.
  • Frame is a large GF Paragon 29er hardtail, with standard 10mm vertical QR dropouts.
  • Forks are Reba SL 29, that I'm happy with, tho' they could use a bit of stiffening up (a la 9mm T/B RWS skewer, or ghetto bolt-on?).

Any info appreciated!

·
Underskilled
4,706 Posts
I used the old SD rearr hub, it's not light, engagment isn't quick, but it is one of the fastest rolling hubs ever, and it's strong.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
CaveGiant said:
I used the old SD rearr hub, it's not light, engagment isn't quick, but it is one of the fastest rolling hubs ever, and it's strong.
Ah, that's interesting. Sounds like the newest spin doctor incarnation has lost a little weight; now it's on par with an I9 classic (weight-wise I mean). Also new model claims to have 30 POE, which is a pretty decent engagement, considering the modest price-bracket; so I guess my question is how tough are those pawls? As for fast-rolling and strong, well they both sound like good attributes to me.

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
I just got a set of what I believe to be 2007 Freedom Disc wheelset on my bike with the original Spin Doctors. I haven't been able to test them out fully (trails here are bogs right now) but they do seem very solid and they roll amazingly well; but as mentioned by CaveGiant as well they don't have the fastest engagement. Weight I guess is all relative but comparing to the higher end stuff (CK, I9, Hope, etc.) the old ones are on the heavier side. The new ones sound amazing IMO.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Spin-Doctor innards

Went ahead and ordered a set of Halo's new Spin Doctor Pro hubs. At this stage I don't have any rims to lace 'em to yet. But to my eyes at least, these hubs look fairly well engineered, considering their reasonable price. Anyway, since not much is known about them yet, here's a few photos...

Spin Doctor 'Universal' front hub
The Universal ships with adaptors for both 20mm T/A and Q/R skewers. And I daresay you could probably drill it out for a DT Swiss RWS skewer as well?

Spin Doctor MTB 'Pro' rear hub
This hub is sort of modular, with a choice of 3 axles and 2 different freehubs. My MTB hub came with a CroMo freehub with 30 points of engagement. The CroMo freehub isn't all that light, but it sure looks bulletproof....

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to building some nice wheels around these things.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I looked at the Spin Doctor a couple of months ago for my SS but got the Sun Ringle Disc Jockey instead…mainly because I trusted Sun Ringle a bit more than Halo. I’m very interested to hear how you get on with those!

·
Underskilled
4,706 Posts
I used to own a old spin doctor, but upgraded to nukeproof as the 15 engagment points drove me nuts.

I broke 2.5 nukeproofs in as many months, I would have gone back to halo if they made a 15x12. They didn't so I have a shiny new CK on my desk.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CaveGiant said:
I broke 2.5 nukeproofs in as many months, I would have gone back to halo if they made a 15x12. They didn't so I have a shiny new CK on my desk.
Crikey!! (that's strine speak). Sounds like you're pretty hard on hubs! I'm thinking "Cave Giant" maybe suggests you're a larger gent? Anyway, your new CK hub sounds perfect for you. What colour did you get?

·
Underskilled
4,706 Posts
220-240lb 6'7 and partial to very hard ratcheting.

I managed to pick up a new pewter 15x12 for £140 on eBay!!!

Very happy about that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CaveGiant said:
220-240lb 6'7 and partial to very hard ratcheting.

I managed to pick up a new pewter 15x12 for £140 on eBay!!!

Very happy about that.
Fair enough then! I guess that destroying 2.5 NPG hubs within a short time is testament to that, and it's actually a pretty impressive effort; somewhat akin to trashing monster trucks! ;) .

Anyway your new 15x12 CK hub sounds like a nice choice.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jSatch said:
Any updates on the hubs hootsmon? Thanks.
Well, I now have a pair Bonty Duster 29er rims and SuperComp spokes, all ready to build. Thanks mikesee! :) Only snag is I'm working ridiculous hours (ie. 6-7 days a week). But nevertheless I still manage to ride every day, and I did find time to lace up the front wheel last weekend. :thumbsup: All good so far; Just need time to knock up a homebrew truing stand, so I can get em true and take them for a spin. Can't wait to get 'em built.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If anybody else has these beauties I'd love to hear about them. They are #2 on my list for my next wheel build. They would be #1 if there were more info about them. FWIW, Hope Pro 2's are #1 and XT's are #3. Hootsman thanks bro for posting the photos.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ppfeifer said:
If anybody else has these beauties I'd love to hear about them. They are #2 on my list for my next wheel build. They would be #1 if there were more info about them. FWIW, Hope Pro 2's are #1 and XT's are #3. Hootsman thanks bro for posting the photos.
+1 to what you said!
Re: Hope pro 2's; these are pretty high on my wishlist too, mainly based on Jerk Chicken's excellent write-ups (pity he's banned now :skep: ). Plus Pro 2's come in blingy colours, but unfortunately they're just a bit too spendy for my budget. So I'm kinda optimistic these Halos may well turn out to be poor-man's Pro 2s?

Re: XT's; ) Another very good hub, particularly in the value-for-money dept. In fact my only gripe with XT's is I wanted cartridge bearings, but to be honest those XT cup-and-cone bearings are pretty hard to beat in terms of smooth-rolling and longevity (if they're adjusted right, that is).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Homebrew truing stand

jSatch said:
Any updates on the hubs hootsmon? Thanks.
Just a quick update on this long-running saga.... It's Father's Day here in Oz, so I took a rare weekend off work. So here's a homebrew truing-stand that I cobbled together, using some recycled RHS steel tubing, plus a couple of angle-brackets I found in the shed. Not quite as pretty as a bought one, but it seems to works just fine! :) So with a bit of luck I might get my new wheels tensioned one day soon.

·
MTBGremmie
453 Posts
hootsmon said:
Just a quick update on this long-running saga.... It's Father's Day here in Oz, so I took a rare weekend off work. So here's a homebrew truing-stand that I cobbled together, using some recycled RHS steel tubing, plus a couple of angle-brackets I found in the shed. Not quite as pretty as a bought one, but it seems to works just fine! :) So with a bit of luck I might get my new wheels tensioned one day soon.
I'm liking the truing stand. Very nice...

...and oh yeah, Happy Father's Day! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fruit of my labor....

Just returning to something like normal, after putting in 17+ weeks of unpaid overtime at the salt-mine. So a spot of wheel-building therapy is exactly what the doctor ordered.

What can I say; I'm kinda gob-smacked by nicely the front wheel turned out, and how it makes me grin when riding. Gotta build the rear wheel next!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Halo Spin Doctor Pro hubs - ride report

My Spin Doctor Pro hubs have been built up for a while now, and they've done a few kms, including their maiden voyage. So I suppose now's a good time to share a few first impressions:

First, the build went off smoothly (aside from lack of time), and both the hubs seemed very nicely engineered.

There's not a real lot to say about the Spin Doctor Uni Front Hub:
  • I chose the black ones, and the appearance looks good to me.
  • Out of the box, the cartridge-bearings felt a little slow. But after a few kms they're now rolling at least as fast as my (admittedly) beaten-up old Deore front-hub. So that's a slightly better outcome than I was expecting.
  • Subjectively, the new front wheel feels noticeably stiffer (ie. less noodly) than my old Mavic wheel, and that's with a QR axle installed in both cases. But of course, there's a lot of other factors at work too, like better spokes and rims.

Now for the Spin Doctor Pro Disc Rear Hub:
  • Once again, the cartridge bearings felt slow out-of-the-box, but free'd up quickly, so now they're rolling twice as quickly (ie. on the truing stand, with no load) as my old M525 rear-hub. Dunno what that means in actual riding, but they feel OK.
  • I picked the MTB model which comes with a (rather burly) Cro-Mo freehub.
  • The freehub has 30 POE, and while that's a little better than the 18 that I'm used to, it's hardly going to change my life, or make me a ride techie stuff any better.
  • Noise-wise, my new freehub sounded like a swarm of angry bees. Even though there's 30 POE, the freehub pawls actually make 60 distinct 'click-clack' sounds per rev.
  • I dabbed a little more grease on the pawls, which has quietened things down a little. And I don't really mind the sound, cuz I'm a bit hearing impaired, and the sound just reminds me to pedal harder!
  • On the workbench, I have noticed that the 30POE freehub feels quite a bit 'draggier' than my old Deore freehub (which is nearly silent as well). But I don't notice any additional drag while riding.
  • At 100kg (all kitted-up) , I'm a reasonably heavy guy, and on the maiden voyage I rode some very steep and chunky fire-trails , without noticing any engagement problems. So my feeling is the Cr-Mo freehub is going to be pretty robust.

To sum up, I'm happy with my new Spin Doctor hubs so far. But to be brutally honest, I'm kinda thinking that from a purely functional point of view, those new XT hubs might well match 'em, and for a bit less cash as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just ordered the same rear hub--Spin Doctor Pro MTB to replace a Shimano Deore FH-M525. Glad to hear you like it. The new XT FH-M775 32 POE hubs you compare the Spin Doctor to are centerlock only, so that evens the price up a bit if you have to buy an adapter or a centerlock rotor, at least at US prices. The Shimano SLX FH-M665 also have a 32 POE freehub and are still slightly lighter than the Halo Spin Dr Pro MTB--centerlock only though again. I'm still young enough that loud hubs are cool, so I'm glad I ordered the Halo.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good info! I think you're gonna like the your Spin Doctor hub then! My impression is they're a decent hub for the money, and I'm thinking they've snuck under the radar somewhat.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts