Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in halfmoon bay on Sunday and I'm wondering if there's any good riding in that area. I can always hit Skeggs too. Which trails are closed by the way?

Thanks!

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
From HMB, about the closest is Purisima Creek. You can get at the bottom by following Higgins Canyon Road from the south edge of town. Whittmore Gulch is probably closed, so you would be stuck to fire roads.

ECdM has all the trails that lead to Leaf Trails as closed. http://openspace.org/preserves/downloads/ECdM_Seasonal_Closures.pdf

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
bailout said:
I'll be in halfmoon bay on Sunday and I'm wondering if there's any good riding in that area. I can always hit Skeggs too. Which trails are closed by the way?
Butano Fire Road is a marginally interesting loop (clockwise!). If you've got a few more hours you can go all the way to China Grade Rd, Middle Ridge in Big Basin, Johannes Rd, then back down Gazos Creek Rd. That's around 30 miles. There's a 40 mile option that we've done a couple times too.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Whittmore Gulch IS closed :madman: , so now there is only fire road, unless you do my normal winter ride. Drive north on Hwy1 to montara, then take the last right into montara (you'll see devils slide in front of you), followed by the first left. You'll end up at the bottom of a hill where you can park and ride from. Go along the single track heading north parrallel to Hwy1. In 1/8 mile, you come to a paved road, go left. You'll ride through a small horse farm, just keep going. After crossing the bridge, you'll see a house ahead of you. Either go right (up "the wall", VERY steep, but quicker) or left of house and then right to go up old county road. if you went up wall, go right at the top. keep climbing old county and then you'll see a little track to the left, take it. You'll pop out about 1/16 mile further, then take the next left off old county. Now you are on saddle, which will take you to the backside. exposed single track for about 1/4 mile, then double track. by now you've only climbed ~1500ft. and only gone less than 2miles. You'll see a telepone pole, go left. Now you are on mile (intense, fun, single track). It will climb for the first 1/8 mile, and then you will hit the crazy down. At the bottom, either head sharp right to come up the semi paved fire road, (takes you back up to tele. pole) or go straight on to go down boyscout (DH course, go right on road at bottom and go past gate). either way, eventualy you'll end up at the tele. pole, where you take the second left to go down saddle and then back down old county. stay on old county untill the house, then head south past the farm, and onto road. Take first right off road onto single track, 1/8 mile to car which should be parked by telephone pole Quite a fun ride, but avoid boyscout (go straight up the fire road after mile) if you havent got fullface/armor/FR-DH bike.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa! I never thought that I'd actually get directions for mile and boyscout here on the web. Thanks! Where's the Crack? These trails are legit right? I don't have body armor (for torso and spine), is boyscout really that gnarly?

·
Banned
11 Posts
bailout said:
Whoa! I never thought that I'd actually get directions for mile and boyscout here on the web. Thanks! Where's the Crack? These trails are legit right? I don't have body armor (for torso and spine), is boyscout really that gnarly?
I can't actually say that I know where crack is - from what I hear its rather difficult and subject to frequent washouts. They are legal, but ideally the LBS (gearhead bicycles) wants you to come to their store (near tacobell) and sign a waiver before (if) you hit them, but it doesn't actually matter. Dont worry about spine armor, just walk past any major jumps before you hit them. Walk the rocky section (~20 ft) of mile unless flying in lifeflight helicopters is your thing as ive seen people airlifted from there twice and from boyscout once. Bring kneepads if youve got them, even just your kids skateboarding pads will help if you come off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.