Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Content from my avatar
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my LBS hooked me up with a bit of Shadow Conspiracy half-link chain for my SS conversion (way to go, Gearhead!). And I'm using it just as a tensioner, I was thinking of taking out one link from that and putting it on my current chain, per SS usage. Except I'm having a few issues:

1. The half-link chain is bending the pin on my chain tool (Park CT-5). It's a replaceable pin, so I'm thinking I may just need a burlier tool?

2. I can't even break the half-link. It doesn't fit in the proper cradle in the chain tool, so I'm using the wrong one. Once again, is there supposed to be a different chain tool for a half link?

3. The half-link doesn't even seem to fit my current chain. I'm running some SRAM 8spd chain, and even the correct links on the SRAM don't seem to fit the half-link, there's a bit of side-to-side play. I also don't know if I'm supposed to use the rollers from the SRAM chain or the half-link chain. I tried both.

Thoughts? I feel like a noob, but I need to get riding mtb again. I had knee surgery in Decmember, and I'm going to be cleared for mtbing in a few weeks! :D

·
Content from my avatar
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to look for real performance parts. Right now I'm trying to save money and just use what works, so I'm more concerned with why it isn't working right now and trying to fix that, rather than spending more money that I don't have. Is the half link you posted the same as a half-link chain, Sparticus?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,961 Posts
erik1245 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to look for real performance parts. Right now I'm trying to save money and just use what works, so I'm more concerned with why it isn't working right now and trying to fix that, rather than spending more money that I don't have. Is the half link you posted the same as a half-link chain, Sparticus?
No, not the same. I've never used a chain made entirely of half links because I've heard so many people who've tried them say they stretch a lot, and rapidly. Well, that and one half link in a chain accomplishes the same thing as many, so I don't see a reason to employ more than one.

I have tried another half link besides the Gusset Slink and was not happy with the way it bound my chain. It caused a tight link, this happened more than once with the KMC half links I used.

Best of luck with your situation.

--sParty

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I'd still recommend the better gusset half-link too, but your current problems are all because that half-link chain you got is an 1/8" chain. The ct-5 chain tool is only designed for the thinner chains used with derailleurs. The shelf and pin are not designed for the wider 1/8" bmx/ss chains. You will need a different chain tool for that chain, such as the ct-7. The width of these 1/8" links is what makes them not fit your 3/32" 8spd chain either

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
I am a BMX rider and the Shadow chains are notorious for being trash. they last a long time in that it's really hard to break them, but they stretch really fast and will wear out your cogs. if you're getting a half-link chain to fit a frame with little room for chain tensioning, the Interlock chain is only going to fit well for a few rides, then it will stretch a ton and fall off. you could achieve the same thing with a cheaper eight-speed chain and a single half-link and it would last longer to boot.

to break one of those chain, you need TSC's chain tool or a Park CT-7.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Order two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CVW56/ref=oss_T15_product

And one of these in 3/32:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22297

Then simply use the two KMC master links to join the Gusset half link into your chain. Make sure the flat side of the Gusset half link faces away from the teeth. It's easy, works seamlessly, and is very durable. The only downside is it costs a little more, but quality usually does, and I always order several at a time to save on shipping.

Every 3/32 half link I tried, and I think I've tried them all, is slightly too wide to be used in a multispeed 3/32 chain. The master link I listed, however, is slightly wider than normal so they play nicely with the half link, and the slight added width isn't a problem with the narrower multispeed chains since the difference is so small.

Just spend the little bit of money and do it right the first time. Have a chain break on you can really suck.

·
Content from my avatar
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool beans, people. Hey Mack, did you realize that this is a mountain biking forum, not a BMX forum? :p

I was beginning to get the idea that I needed a singlespeed chain and bigger chain tool. Now the Gusset link looks like the cheapest route. I could always keep the derailleur as a tensioner as I've been doing, but I want a cleaner-looking bike.

Bad mechanic, I suppose I should've mentioned that I'm currently running a MasterLink right now. Will that still work with the set-up you mentioned? Wait, I think I got it. I use the masterlink on one side of the Gusset, and just one of those KMC masterlinks on the other side of the Gusset?

·
Retro Grouch
2,080 Posts
I think your over-thinking this. The idea of using the Shadow Conspiracy half-link from a half link chain has all the problems you named. The two biggest problems was 1) you'd have to buy a different chain breaker (not necessarily the pricey Shadow Conspiracy, but a $6-7 old school breaker) and the Shadow Conspiracy chain is 1/8 and you are using a 3/32 chain.
If you want to use a half link grab a KMC 3/32 half link and attach it to SRAM 8 sp chain. The odds are it may still be too wide to use a power link, so just put the half link in the middle of the chain. The Gusset Slink link is a great product, but not as easy to find as a KMC and twice the price. The end result is a $2 half link that will work with your chain and current tool, without having to put out any more money.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,961 Posts
aka brad said:
... The Gusset Slink link is a great product, but not as easy to find as a KMC and twice the price. ...
Brutha Brad, I've used that miserable KMC 3/32" half link... and never again. Maybe the Gusset Slink costs twice as much but it's worth 100 times as much. The KMC is garbage -- impossible to utilize it without is causing a tight link. Total garbage, uh huh.

--sParty

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
As Mr. Sparticus said, the KMC link is rubbish. Additionally, you cannot use it with a SRAM or Shimano 8 speed chain since a Power Link or master pin won't fit it (too wide). You also can't just put it in the middle of the chain since then you're not only pressing out a pin and pushing it back in (thus weakening the chain), but you're also now using a pin which is too short due to the KMC's width. Trust me, I've been down that road, and it's paved with tears and busted knees.

·
Retro Grouch
2,080 Posts
bad mechanic said:
As Mr. Sparticus said, the KMC link is rubbish. Additionally, you cannot use it with a SRAM or Shimano 8 speed chain since a Power Link or master pin won't fit it (too wide). You also can't just put it in the middle of the chain since then you're not only pressing out a pin and pushing it back in (thus weakening the chain), but you're also now using a pin which is too short due to the KMC's width. Trust me, I've been down that road, and it's paved with tears and busted knees.
The Half link will certainty be the weakest part of the chain, but the times I have used them they worked fine, with no tight links and while pressing a pin in and out does weaken the link a bit, it is what was done on bicycle chains for over 100 years and worked much more often than not (I've never had one fail), even with riveted pins (i.e. the high end Regina chains). Saying that you do need to take care with what your doing and know how to reverse the chain in the chain tool to release the tension. You also need to remember that erik1245 said money was an issue..

boomn said:
Hate to pile it on but the only chain break I've had in recent history was a KMC half link that peeled apart because the SRAM pin wasn't long enough
Perhaps you missed the part about not using a Power Link with the half link..

The below photo is a KMC half link currently being used with a KMC Z51 8 speed chain on my dingle speed (I actually ordered a Gusset Slink link for that purpose, but Universal emailed back they were out). I used a similar KMC setup with my old Bonty SS conversion with an 1/8" half link and never had a problem.

Attachments

·
Content from my avatar
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aka brad said:
The Half link will certainty be the weakest part of the chain, but the times I have used them they worked fine, with no tight links and while pressing a pin in and out does weaken the link a bit, it is what was ..... a problem.
That's one grungy chain man. :p

I'd rather go with the majority here. I know all of you are frequent posters in the SS forum, so I doubt it's just a "pick a side and go with it" situation. If it is, well, it's a good side. :D

I did say money is something to keep in mind, but I spend more on food and snacks every week than I would with the Gusset and the two masterlinks. I could go without those extra calories anyways. :rolleyes: Besides, if I used the KMC half link I would have to get me some chain pins, and my LBS sells them pretty expensive. So I'mma order that Gusset and those half links soon, I just don't trust this computer to enter my card info. Thanks peoples.

If you want to continue to argue (or debate :p ) the various half links, by all means go ahead.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
aka brad said:
The Half link will certainty be the weakest part of the chain, but the times I have used them they worked fine, with no tight links and while pressing a pin in and out does weaken the link a bit, it is what was done on bicycle chains for over 100 years and worked much more often than not (I've never had one fail), even with riveted pins (i.e. the high end Regina chains).
The Gusset half link won't be the weakest part.

Yes, that's been done for over 100 years, but modern chains aren't like the same as vintage chains. On high quality modern multi-speed chains the ends of the pins are peened, so they mushroom out. When they're pushed out, they themselves not only deform, but they deform the plates they're pushed through as well, creating a severe weak spot.

I've personally tried using your method with a KMC half link and a SRAM 8spd chain, and it broke on me right at the pin.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.