Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any suggestions for a not-too-expensive jacket that is wind blocking on the front and heat and sweat venting on the back?

Something like this:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-wind-shield-pullover?p=24991-1-085

"The Wind Shield Pullover excels as a primary layer or alone as a baselayer, keeping pace with heart-pounding winter runs and rides. The front torso and collar are fully windproof, with a polyurethane film laminated to the polyester body fabric, while the Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish sheds light precipitation. Nonlaminated, warm R1® fleece covers the back and arms, and lines the inside of the collar to breathe, wick moisture, dry quickly and reduce bulk. Pullover details: full wind flap with zipper garage, thumb loops, zippered chest pocket with interior cord pass-through, a slightly dropped tail and reflective logos on the left chest and center back. "

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
buy some merino wool clothing....ibex is having a sale right now....i <3 my swobo stuff too. i've been riding early am commutes, riding in the cold, in the rain, in the cold rain, and bike camping outdoors the past few weeks sans tent and have been comfy all winter in some merino wool.....recommended.

wool base and mid layer, some sort of vest or windbreaker for extra insulation and wind protection....good combo for the maritime winter riding. more temperature regulation, the fleece stuff just ends up smelling after a bit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
beanbag said:
Anybody have any suggestions for a not-too-expensive jacket that is wind blocking on the front and heat and sweat venting on the back?

Something like this:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-wind-shield-pullover?p=24991-1-085

"The Wind Shield Pullover excels as a primary layer or alone as a baselayer, keeping pace with heart-pounding winter runs and rides. The front torso and collar are fully windproof, with a polyurethane film laminated to the polyester body fabric, while the Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish sheds light precipitation. Nonlaminated, warm R1® fleece covers the back and arms, and lines the inside of the collar to breathe, wick moisture, dry quickly and reduce bulk. Pullover details: full wind flap with zipper garage, thumb loops, zippered chest pocket with interior cord pass-through, a slightly dropped tail and reflective logos on the left chest and center back. "
Funny you should mention that...I rode yesterday in that exact shirt (red in front, black outside) but basically that shirt. My wife has one for jogging.

It's pretty nice, I wear it as my only layer. It vents quite well on the way up and it's nice not to feel the wind on the way down. It was ~47 yesterday when I was riding and drizzling and I wasn't cold at all!
On sale it's a bargain.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an older/similar jacket to what the OP linked to, except it's full zip, has two chest pockets (added ventilation), and no thumb loops. I rode up Mt. Tam yesterday wearing a thin wool L/S shirt under it. I really like the wind block material in the front and the vented back/arms. It's my go to top layer for cool/cold weather.

Edit:
Mine might be different. Mine has the wind blocking material on the top of the arms and thin fleece on the bottom. This one looks like the entire arm might be fleece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.