Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Gorgeous bike, but all I see that's fat on there is a fork and front wheel... The "'loff" half of the bike, while damn fine looking, looks relatively standard. Am I missing something? I wanted to see a "fat 'loff", and all I get is a fat fork....

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay...half-fat'loff. Happy?

What do I know? I'm just the art guy who rides a spindly little Bontrager Race Lite. ;)

My visual measurements on-screen, confirmed by the builder Neil Flock of Cyclemonkey, suggest that a fat tire like the Surley 3.8 would not fit on the rear which fits the 650 B wheel. The client is in the San Francisco Bay Area and is really thinking in terms of a hard tail. That is, a rigid rear with front suspension, provided by the fat tire.

Anyhow more pics. Fat or not it's a pretty frame. It is also a very quiet bike so it is stealthy.

Attachments

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is a Yipsan custom fork; it's one of my favorite things about the bike. Other custom features include the seatpost and the stem. I also noticed the stainless steel dropout faces. Nice touch.

When I shoot these I don't lead with my technical knowledge but an internal reaction to design. Actually, now that I think of it, my bike knowledges practically second nature so that gets me in the right area pretty quickly without intending to. It leaves me free to interpret each aspect for the way that a design shape addresses function.

Having said that, one of my favorite features is the curved strut between the disc brake side of the union of the seat stay dropout and chain stay. Sure it's there to handle the braking forces but, oh by the way, it's pretty piece.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.